How to read MD and SD file formats?

Discussions about the use of Realflow
cgbrown.mos

How to read MD and SD file formats?

Post by cgbrown.mos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Hello!

I'm a software developer trying to read exported simulation data so that it can be rendered in another custom application. Is there any information available about how to read MD files (mesh cache) or SD files (animation)?

A little more background information if it helps:
I am doing 1,000 simulations of a geometric shape dropping into a Hybrido fluid volume (8-16 million particles) where the geometric shape is different in each simulation. I only need the mesh of the fluid and the mesh/animation of the geometric shape to be exported. The amount of data generated for this many simulations is quite large. The MD and SD file formats seem to contain the information that I am looking for with the smallest file size, but they are binary files. Can anyone help me read these files or is my best bet trial and error to decode both formats?

Thanks,
Chris

ChristianZ

Re: How to read MD and SD file formats?

Post by ChristianZ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi

there is a manual and example files in the "SDK" folder of your RF standalone installation, but I think it is only for making plugins, not documenting file formats :? So, the only way seems to get in contact with Nextlimit for that project.
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

tsn

Post by tsn » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi,

Under RealFlow's application directory go to doc > file_formats. There you'll find the specs for several file formats including SD, although MD is not documented.

cgbrown.mos

Post by cgbrown.mos » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Thank you both so much!

It looks like the BIN mesh cache would work for me if I could turn off writing the texture coordinates and velocity. I'll look into that and also contact Next Limit directly about the MD file format.

tsn

Post by tsn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:46 am

You're welcome. There's also a Python script for converting Maya PDCs into RF BINs. Although it's for particles it might give you an idea of how to cope with these binary file formats in general:

https://www.realflow.com/resources_real ... /python/69

Since this requires registration (and I don't know if it's still possible to join, since it's really old and outdated) I've added the script here for direct download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ieFWW_ ... sp=sharing

Forester

Post by Forester » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 pm

TSN, you are a gem!
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

Return to “Realflow”