The new release of RF10 (that is RF10.5)

News about Realflow, Fluid Simulations,...
Forester

The new release of RF10 (that is RF10.5)

Postby Forester » Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm

OK, this looks really, really good!

Essentially, three new features. Catalysee has an outstanding video on the RF website that demonstrates and explains the new ability to create that thicker lip/rim on crown splashes. This is a "must see" video for most of us. This new "Macro Daemon" feature significantly distinguishes Realflow from Houdini, for those who care about that. Should make Realflow a commercially valuable product. At least in my business, it will. Excellent work, Catalysee! :D

I'm still struggling a bit to understand the "curvature-cohesion mode" in the Surface Tension daemon, but there is a video for this as well.

And for those of us using Maxwell Render, the improvements between RF and MR all across the board are great! This really helps a lot!

As always, you should read the Release Notes for the upgrade as your first task. (The only way I've found to access them this time is within the new version itself. If I can extract these, I'll post them here.) As usual, there are known bugs and limitations that we need to know about, but there also is a list of Fixed Bugs of note.
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

Forester

Re: The new release of RF10 (that is RF10.5)

Postby Forester » Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Oh, and the fixes to Alembic functions are great, too!

Good Job, Folks!

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Tue May 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks for posting this news forester!
I think they are still working on the website, but at the moment it is this link here for general informations and examples https://www.nextlimit.com/realflow/latest-release/
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 am

Ok here are the release notes for 10.5
https://support.nextlimit.com/pages/vie ... d=45645857
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Wed May 29, 2019 10:57 am

Sounds great!

Anybody know what the Macro Daemon does? It is a series of commands that you don't need to do in separate manual steps?

Thanks.
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Forester

Postby Forester » Wed May 29, 2019 6:20 pm

OldCode, the Macro Daemon is very much like the Sheeter Deamon. That is, you first make a simulation of something, maybe a small drop of water falling from a leaf, and you "add" the Macro Daemon to the sim to refine the effect - basically the surface tension and the way the trailing tendril from the lower spherical shape of the water droplet shapes up.

From Catalysee's video (here is a version you can adjust the size and settings on - https://vimeo.com/337746101), I gather that a person should use it in conjunction with the Surface Tension Daemon to get just the right balance of shaping effect.

So, it is a "helper" daemon, or something you add to refine the overall look of the liquid in your sim.

It is designed for very small objects such as that classic drop of water hitting a small pool of water. The name must come from the idea of "macro photography" - that kind of photography using special lenses, with high speed shutters that is used to photograph these very small objects. Small splashes, small drops of water or wine, little bits of wine in a wine glass pour, that sort of thing.

These are commercially valuable kinds of sims, but the big limitation in Realflow has been the ability to get that rounded, thicker edge on the lip of a splash. Most of the commercial versions of those splashes that you see in ads (that bottle of some new special artisan water surrounded by a splash) were hand shaped using Zbrush or some sculpting modeller in order to get that thickness around the rim.

So, this new Daemon helps with creating that kind of thing. The Daemon itself only has three settings in the setting panel. They are for Cavity Size Detection (same as Sheeter), Tendrils (same as Sheeter) and Surface Tension Strength. The Help Page in the User Guide simply provides a very brief description of these parameters. The User Guide for this new version of RealFlow is only online at the moment - can't be downloaded in its entirety, which is a problem for those of us with intermittent internet connections. But, this will allow the writers to keep making good updates, I hope.

There is one Demo scene of the Macro Daemon at work in the new version. This is of a drop of water (well, a tiny stream of dropping water) falling on the "Cross" object. It is a good demo and allows you to play with the settings of the Daemon to get a feel for the significance of changes in those parameter/setting values.

Forester

Postby Forester » Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm

ChristianZ, thank you very much for posting the release notes for the new version is a way we all can access and read them!!!!!

Forester

Postby Forester » Wed May 29, 2019 6:30 pm

The Curveture/Cohesion I didn't understand at first is an improvement to the way Surface Tension is calculated in the Surface Tension Deamon. That is, it is an improvement to the algorithem(s) that allows for more accurate tensioning of the liquid.

For the Surface Tension Daemon, there are now two options - "Curvature" which seems good for larger liquids, and "Curvature/Cohesion" which is good for smaller liquid objects.

Another one of those things that takes a lot of playing/experimenting to get some sense of the kinds of changes different values create. But, excellent for those small liquid objects.

Forester

Postby Forester » Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Addition of the Maxwell Render "De-Noiser" to RF (the Maxwell "Light" that is built into RF), and major fixes to Alembic. This pretty much sums up the changes to RF in Version .5.

I use Maxwell Render, and Alembic to get back and forth to Maya these days. I must say that there are lots of little, but substantial improvements to these functions that are covered in the Release Notes, but not in the big announcement. So, all of this adds up to a pretty big improvement, at least for a person using these tools.

I've stumbled across a few omissions or small features that seem to have been dropped, but nothing big or worth talking about. So far.

Return to “News”