How to mesh an geometric shape for alembic exporting

Discussions about the use of Realflow
Splitting_Atoms

How to mesh an geometric shape for alembic exporting

Postby Splitting_Atoms » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 pm

I have a simple scene with a ocean and a square object in it.. Its a 10 sec animation of the square just floating around

I want to import this scene into Blender, where I will add the lighting and materials to the ocean and the square. I usually use alembic import to import the mesh from Realflow into Blender. I did this before, but this was only with an ocean (no object in it)

But.. in this scene.. when I apply a particle mesh VDB to it.. it only meshes the realwave surface.. and not the object. So when I import it into Blender.. it only imports the ocean and not the object

How can I included the object (square) into the meshing proces in Realflow, so it also export that to Blender...?

thanks!

Oldcode

Re: How to mesh an geometric shape for alembic exporting

Postby Oldcode » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Hit the F12 button (Export Central) and under the pedestal and statue object properties, select Alembic so the geometry is exported along with the ocean mesh.

Good Luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Splitting_Atoms

Postby Splitting_Atoms » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Ah that was a very simple sollution, thank you for that.

I have a follow up question though.. So what I do is, I end up with 2 stitched alembic files, one for the cube/statue (theyre the same, and one for the ocean. When I import these in Blender, they show up fine and everything, so far so good.

However, the waves dont seem to really interact with the cube. I can't see the ways breaking up on the cube's side for example. No ripples or anything either. Im getting the same effect if I just import the ocean into blender..and then use blender to create a cube and just put it in the ocean (no interaction either).

So my question is, how do I make the waves really interact with the cube?

Maybe the problem is that the cube is floating, and not static in the water like a rockformation sticking out..?
Thats how I want the cube to become ..but I havent figured out how to make it static in the water so the waves crash into it.. If you could tell me also how to do that, that would be great..

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 pm

Okay, I'm not sure what you're trying to do here, so...

You've got a cube and statue object in Real Flow and you used Real Wave to create the ocean effect, yes?

If yes, then any problems you're having with the ocean interacting with your object should be happening in Real Flow. If it works in Real Flow, it should work when you export everything to Blender,

That being said, usually the way you exchange data between Real Flow and other programs is to use one of their connectivity plugins, but they don't have one for Blender that I know of.

Not sure you can, but if can show us some screen shots of what's going on in both Real Flow and Blender, that would help.
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Return to “Realflow”