Real Flow V2 and Octane Crashes

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Cinema 4D
montyVFX

Re: Real Flow V2 and Octane Crashes

Postby montyVFX » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:23 am

I've tried several times and I believe I am following your instructions. Shouldn't my mesher show up in the viewport ready to have materials added? Essentially I want the mesher object without the actual mesher object doing the creating.

I open up RenderRFC4DAlembicSequences.c4d and see the mesh object. I point Path to alembic file to my mesher's .abc output sequence. Then there is only an axis in the viewport with nothing there.

tsn

Postby tsn » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:08 am

Yes, the meshes do only show up at render time. Seems as if this is limitation of C4D's Python implementation. What you can do is to load a single mesh with another Alembic import to do all the look dev. Then you simply transfer the material to the mesh container that will be used by the script for the render.

The script is really just a temporary workaround to give you at least the possibility of rendering your meshes. There's definitely room for improvement. I'll talk to our developers about this and maybe they have another solution. ChristianZ has mentioned the stitcher tool from the RealFlow standalone. Unfortunately the stitcher can't be run as a standalone tool (in fact it does run, but it requires almost the complete set of RealFlow DLLs, because these libs depend on each other).

montyVFX

Postby montyVFX » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:04 am

tsn,
Your explanation is making a lot more sense now. It's a clunky, but potentially successful workaround.

I've tried several .abc sequences cached out of RealFlow, but I cannot get anything to render in Octane either. Actually, I think Octane is choking on this object. The live viewer window in Octane doesn't actually ever finish drawing. It seems to be going into some sort of loop while it's loading geometry. In the full render, it can finish, but nothing is drawn. I'm trying to attach a screenshot of all of this, but the message board is not allowing it.

tsn

Postby tsn » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks for checking out and your patience. I've reported your observations to our developers and they're now trying to figure out a different solution.

The reason for all this trouble is that RF|C4D tends to crash with multiple GPUs of the same type - in your case 2x GTX1080. We're aware of these crashes, but haven't been able to reproduce the problem on our own machines. Maybe we're missing something, e.g. a certain plugin that conflicts with RF|C4D... Of course we want to fix this rather yesterday than today. But can't do very much as long as the crashes aren't reproducible. That's why we're currently looking for alternatives to let you work with RF|C4D.

We're really very sorry for all the inconvenience. If there's anything new I'll get back to you here.

montyVFX

Postby montyVFX » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Having the ability to bake the animation or make the mesher into straight geometry somehow would add a lot of versatility to this plugin. Maybe this could also speed up rendering??? You're already making .abc sequences and C4D can read a single one of these perfectly. Now we just need a way to compile the sequence and we'll have what we need.

I understand and realize I am asking for two plugins to work together which is always a tricky thing. But C4D is such an awesome tool you can do it. RealFlow is pretty amazing too! Thanks again for the help here.

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks for your suggestions on RF|C4D 2.0. I've passed them over to our developers.

We've also been able to reproduce the crashes with multiple GPUs and it seems as if it has something to do with TurbulenceFD. This doesn't mean that TFD is the culprit (in fact it's a super awesome plugin), but it's simply a conflict between both tools. Not sure if it's the only reason, but it's a start. So maybe you'll succeed with your render if you deactivate/remove TFD temporarily?

montyVFX

Postby montyVFX » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 pm

I've never heard of plugin A effecting plugin B and C like that.

Interesting, but thanks for the information. I will uninstall TFD and see if I can confirm your results.

montyVFX

Postby montyVFX » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am

I removed TFD from the Plugins Folder and restarted Cinema 4D. I then re-cached the RealFlow Mesher and tried to start an Octane Render.

Unfortunately I am still crashing.

Switching Octane out of Network Rendering Mode so that I'm on my single card also doesn't seem to have an effect.

Also, awkwardly, one thing I was really trying to do was make flaming liquids with TFD. Not being about to use my slave for rendering is a big issue on my end.

Return to “Cinema 4D”