How to import 2 million particles from RF5 to Houdini?

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Houdini
Kevron

Postby Kevron » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi,
I am scratching my head around something I do not understand.
I have simulated a sculpted waterscene in RF5, and the particle count is just above 2 mil. (Total size for exportet bin files are 26.gb)
I have the newest plugin from Next Limit for both Houdini (17.aug) and Cinema 4d.
When I load the particles in Cinema 4D, the program thinks for a few seconds, and then I can see all the particles in my viewport. And the level of detail (LOD) is 100%. So C4D shows me all the particles, and is quite interactive when changing between frames.

Then I tries the same thing in houdini. The cooking time is 35 minutes, and it is still trying to import the particles. I can set the LOD to 1% in the RF particle import settings, and this reduces the cooking time. But I really want to render out all my particles, and not just 1%.

Do anybody knows what I am doing wrong here. Just seems that something is fishy. Is there a way to delayload Realflow particles upon rendertime?
I really like the way Mantra render particles, so that is why I would like it to work smoothly in Houdini.

My houdinibuild is the production one: 11.0.469
Tried also the current dailybuild (477), but the RealFlow plugin makes houdini crash upon execution.

My thoughts on this so far, it that it has something to be with how houdini imports the .bin sequence.

I have stored the .bin sequence localy on my harddrive, so there should not be some problems with transferspeed of data between different networks..
I am also a Mac user, but I can not see how that can affect the speed of things.. Its just strange.

I have also started a thred on this at : OdForce, but no good luck yet.

Hope that somebody can shed some light on this strange issue.

Thanks,
Kevron

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Something is up with the plugins maybe? I've not tried Houdini 11 plugins yet but it loads much faster than that in Houdini 10. If you have access to Houdini 10 then I'd use the old plugins and export them in Houdini's format (.bgeo) so you can import them in Houdini 11 without the fuss. If its still slow then the problem might be elsewhere like running out of memory or a memory bug, network is too slow, etc.

Kevron

Postby Kevron » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks lukeiamyourfather,
Did not think of that :)
Will test tomorrow and share my findings!

Cheers,
Kev

Kevron

Postby Kevron » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 am

I have tested it with houdini 10, and the import problem is still there. That may not be so strange, because I tried first with the "old" RF Houdini plugin. But the RF icons would not show up in my shelf.

So, I installed the new version of RF plugin (just hoping that the coding for houdini 10 was not changed). But no success, I am currently still loading in particles and the cooking clock is ticking way past 10 minutes.

There seems that Jim M from the Odforce forum experience also the same problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kev

Kevron

Postby Kevron » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:02 pm

I got an e-mail from David, one of the Houdini developers of the RF-plug. Here is the information he gave me (hope it is ok to copy/paste his answer, so more people can get some information on this subject):

Regarding your issue. As far as I can remember the importer plugins use data caching (per particle, per frame range etc.) in order to speed up the interactivity in the viewport. In this case since your particle file is too big you will run out of memory. This is a new issue since with RF5 it's possible to simulate a really big amount of particles, so you can possibly run out of memory.

The ideal solution for this problem will be RFRFK for Mantra which will be released very soon, so you can import and mesh your fluid in rendertime with much more control and there will be a new display node which will reduce the amount of data (number of attributes) to be loaded.

A workaround for your problem can be the new proxy type which only stores position and velocity data, so if you just want to use the particles this should work.

Anyway, the importer issue needs to be fixed, I will add a new cache mode which will create all the particles on the fly without storing the particle system data in memory.
This is still a good question how Houdini will handle this really massive frame in the viewport.

I hope we can release a fix for this during the next week.

So, they are on it :)

Cheers,
Kev

ilayshp

Postby ilayshp » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:32 pm

Kevron wrote: I got an e-mail from David, one of the Houdini developers of the RF-plug. Here is the information he gave me (hope it is ok to copy/paste his answer, so more people can get some information on this subject):

Regarding your issue. As far as I can remember the importer plugins use data caching (per particle, per frame range etc.) in order to speed up the interactivity in the viewport. In this case since your particle file is too big you will run out of memory. This is a new issue since with RF5 it's possible to simulate a really big amount of particles, so you can possibly run out of memory.

The ideal solution for this problem will be RFRFK for Mantra which will be released very soon, so you can import and mesh your fluid in rendertime with much more control and there will be a new display node which will reduce the amount of data (number of attributes) to be loaded.

A workaround for your problem can be the new proxy type which only stores position and velocity data, so if you just want to use the particles this should work.

Anyway, the importer issue needs to be fixed, I will add a new cache mode which will create all the particles on the fly without storing the particle system data in memory.
This is still a good question how Houdini will handle this really massive frame in the viewport.

I hope we can release a fix for this during the next week.

So, they are on it :)

Cheers,
Kev

Tor and David thanks for info.

Proxy (for) participles for Grid Fluids domain seems?

asterX

Postby asterX » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 am

Hi,

I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. We know that a new Houdini production build has been released but it contains a bug in the ROP framework, so SD-s are exported incorrectly (and usually all plugins fail which export a sequence of frames into a single file). We did some speed improvements on the particle importer and these changes will be released as soon as we can.

Thanks,
David

Return to “Houdini”