New Lightwave 9.6 plugin [Updated 11 Jan 2010]

Discussions about the use of Realflow in Lightwave
bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

Cheers Shaun, you will have to excuse my ignorance but do I load the LWO into the separate modeler? and would it be animated? Unfortunately the LW demo does not support object exporting. I could not find the triple function you spoke of in Layout...

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Yes, you need to load the .lwo into modeller and use the triple function in there. There is no triangulation function in Layout. Save the object out and load back into Layout. You may need to redo the bones once in layout and the demo may have a poly-count restriction on saved objects.

Before you do this though, and only IF you're using the newest plugin for v9.6 (and I noticed that the download page had reverted to a really old one the other day and still seems to be that way), make sure your quad object is not in Matrx mode within the sd export functions - this is the only way to export deformation with your mesh. The plugin should return a warning that bones are not exported, but as long as vertex mode is selected the deformation will work ok in RF. The plugin does have a built-in triangulation algorithm but, be warned, it doesn't deal with complex objects very well at present (something Peter is working on trying to improve when he gets the time).

If the above doesn't work, you'll need to triangulate the mesh in Modeller.

If none of the above works, send the .lwo to me and I'll see what I can do with it, but it won't be until this evening I'm afraid as I'm not infront of LW during the day today.

Shaun

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Yes I too noticed that the plugin page was displaying the old links, but I am using the new one 9.x rather than 9.3

Thanks for the offer of helping to triangulate my model but I have asked the original artist who made this scene to export the sd for me, so fingers crossed that all works his end.

Cheers

deckard

Postby deckard » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:56 am

hp wrote: [quote=deckard]...I am trying to render a preview with the new mesh loader plugin (with dense, 1 mil+ poly meshes) and it just keeps crashing in mid preview on different frames each time. ...

I would like to find out what cause the crash in your scene. As you said you use heavy meshes in the preview and the problem comes always on different frames. I think the best solution in locating the problem would be if I make you a new build with logging and you send me the log file of the preview back if it's OK for you. What platform do you use (win32, win64 or osx)?

Peter[/quote]
Ok. Am trying both the x32 and x64 on Win 7. Yeah, the first scene I tried to render with the new plug is having odd crashes. It crashed on particular frames (after radiosity calc, but before 1st pass renders), but I can re-start the render from the crashed frame and it continues.

But am having a particularly weird crash when I F10 and the start frame is on a frame other than the current frame. For example, if current frame is 7, and the render starts on frame 1, F10 will crash. But if I first go to frame 1 and click F10, no crash... until later in the sequence. This F10 crash happens no matter what frame I test on. Make start frame same as current frame, and no crash on F10.

I tried to narrow this down-

-Cleared all objects except mesh- no crash.
-Return to original scene and deleted one object at a time, click F10, until I narrowed down a particular object in the scene that the RF mesh plug does not seem to like, although it is a simple object with no textures or plugs associated with it.
-New simple scene containing only the mesh and the problem object- crash on F10.
-Replace problem object with any other object- crash on F10.
-Disable radiosity- no crash(?).
-Alternatively, if delete the Scene Editor master plugin- no crash(?).
-Load problem object back into scene- crash, regardless of radiosity or master plugins.

Weird. No crashes with the older plugin version. To reiterate, I do not get this F10 crash if the current frame is the same as the render start frame.

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:03 pm

I have gone back to using the old plugin and its working fine... seems the new plugin has lots of issues!

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:51 pm

seems the new plugin has lots of issues!

Could you be more specific so that these issues can be solved? I'm not seeing half the problems you guys are seeing in my testing but if I had a better idea of the scenarios I could more closely see if their reproducible on other systems.

Shaun

Soth3d

Postby Soth3d » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi,
I just made new scene and when exporting any object (even table) I got error:
[h]Could not add object to SD export: ((none))[/h]

I triangulate and save object(s) before exporting.
Here is 7zipped scene file if someone would like to have a go...
Cheers
Tomek
Oh, Lord, Please Don't Burn Us
HP Z800 | 6GB RAM | 2x Xeon W5580 3.2Ghz | ATI 4870

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks Tomek, I'll test this tomorrow.

Shaun

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Call me impatient, but I couldn't wait until tomorrow.

This image is using the currently available (or rather, was available) 32bit plugin from the download page (primarily 'cos I didn't want to fire up the workstation):-

Here's what I did:-

Opened each object in modeler, opened the stats panel and checked for non-triangulated polygons. There were many. At present, the triangulation algorithm deals with very simple objects, but not complex ones. So I would suggest that you always triple your geometry before importing to layout.

When I selected "Add all" to the plugin in the sd export tab, I then removed the 0 vertices, 0 faces objects (which I assume are nulls). I'm pretty sure that the current beta recognises bones/nulls etc as non-objects and gives you a warning about them not being exported. This released version may not have that capability so select each one from the list and delete it from being exported.

Hit export - wait for the scene to be read and sd file to be written (11MB in this case) and the result is the image attached. Tomorrow I'll test it on the latest beta and see what happens.

Shaun

Attached files

Soth3d

Postby Soth3d » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:13 pm

Thx a lot, what I was doing is exporting only 'Collision' object and all those were triangulated. I dig out old plug-in and everything worked very well.

I am not sure about plug-in from RF page, have not checke it, the latest version did not export anything. Try it tomorrow pls.

I am playing with the scene in RF already. :)

And again, thank you for all help, you are awesome!
Cheers
Tomek
Oh, Lord, Please Don't Burn Us
HP Z800 | 6GB RAM | 2x Xeon W5580 3.2Ghz | ATI 4870

Return to “Lightwave”