graph: convert rpc files into bin files

Discussions about the use of Realflow
dermesut

graph: convert rpc files into bin files

Postby dermesut » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:09 pm

hi,

at the bottom of this site: https://rfwisdom.com/category/graph/ there is a picture which shows a graph that converts rpc files to bin files (need that bc dyvserso doesn't seem to write bin-files).
i never used the graph-feature before, nevertheless i tried to recreate that setup and it works.
but only for 1 frame. it converts only the one frame at wich i am. when i click "next frame" and run that graph again, it converts that next frame and so on. i have 1150 frames, so that'd be some clicking...

what do i need to do to convert all the rpc-files that are in a given folder at once?
any idea how this works?

thx.

Forester

Re: graph: convert rpc files into bin files

Postby Forester » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Not a direct answer to your question.

But Dyverso certainly does write *.BIN files. I use this all the time in commercial and non-commercial development.

What is your Export Central showing for the Mesh section of your project? Perhaps I can help with this part.
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

dermesut

Postby dermesut » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 pm

sorry,
i was not specific enough.
i am after particles, not meshes.
you're right, meshes are being exported as bin, particles aren't (afaik).

Forester wrote:Not a direct answer to your question.

But Dyverso certainly does write *.BIN files. I use this all the time in commercial and non-commercial development.

What is your Export Central showing for the Mesh section of your project? Perhaps I can help with this part.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm

I don't know about graphs, but the bin-format is probably going away in next versions anyway.
If you are using Cinema4d with X-particles you could use the cache-import function of X-particles and use the Krakatoa PRT-format as a workaround.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

dermesut

Postby dermesut » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 pm

oh, didn't know about that, thx for the heads up.

yes, that's what i was trying... goal is to render the particles with octane.
so, yeah, it's all about using xparticles' chache object, that would let me import bin files, which unfortunately exludes caches dyverso-particles.
a few hours ago i stumbled upon that krakatoa-format and tried it, but... nothing happened.
literally nothing. cache files were there, path to folder was set correctly, but nothing happened.
so, i didn't go on trying to be honest.

but maybe there's more to it that the usual set-path-to-particlefolder? but i wouldn't know that that would be.

it all comes down to a fairly simple task: render particles caches out of dyverso with octane in c4d.
how hard could that be (with only rf10 "standalone", no rf-plug here)?

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:18 am

But you do have the RF connect plugin, right? And that has a particle importer part that reads RPC-files. So, you should have particles anyway in C4D, even if it is not bin.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

dermesut

Postby dermesut » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:12 am

yes, i do.
but the connect plugin does not help me here. i get the particles with it but can't render them with octane.
the rf renderkit particler on the other hand seems to help in a way.
when i get the particles via the rf renderkit particler and put an octane object tag on it, the tag indeed show the option to render them as particles.
which i then select. but then... nothing happens, they are not being rendern.

it "should" work with the rf renderkit particler, i guess, but it doesn't.

in this thread https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=57168 over at the octane forum, it's being stated that it should work i guess.
in case you don't have access to the forum, aoktar writes:
"... it just support the Oparticle(standard emitter), RFRK_PARTICLER, ID_TFD_FLUID_CONTAINER, OXPEmitter(Xparticle), OXPDomain..."

in that thread i asked, if that really should work, but somehow, no one answers. :(

so, wright now, i am stuck with abc-files, that needs to be stitched.
but i experienced, that there seems to be a kind of number-limit, above which realflow crashes constantly.
so, i stitch chunks of around 400 abc-particles, which makes three stitched abc-files from my 1150 frames sim.
in c4d i then use the octane scatter object (a mograph cloner-like object), to spread my particle-objects on the verteces of the abc-stitch, while keyframing the object, that needs to provide the verteces, so that i receive all three abc-stitches.

a very frustrating workaround.
the very best, of course, would be the rpc files, that are being rendered as octane-particles, straight and direct.
but... no luck so far.

ChristianZ wrote:But you do have the RF connect plugin, right? And that has a particle importer part that reads RPC-files. So, you should have particles anyway in C4D, even if it is not bin.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 am

Ok, I see now the problem, but I don't have Octane and cannot comment on that.

You still could render any particles by attaching geometry (spheres) to it? It would be slow and memory-intensive, but that should work with any render engine. Works well with Redshift here. Redshift has a "Particle"-type material that works with the particles imported with the RF-connect plugin. Similar options exist in V-Ray https://vimeo.com/255597387
RF10 standard + RFC4D

dermesut

Postby dermesut » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:47 am

i wouldn't know, how to attach a geo to the particles.
well, the only way i know of is the octane-scatter-method i described earlier.
but that only works with abc-caches, the rf connect plug doesn't help here.

BUT:
tataaa... i figured out, what my problem was, trying the prt-method mentioned.
the xp-emitter, the xp-cachetag is attached to, needs to be named after the prt-particles.
so, if the particles are named "prt_particles_0001, prt_particles_0002" etc., the xp-emitter needs to be named "prt_particles".
et voila it works :)

probably i should have looked into the doc of xparticles. who would know... it actually says that :)
now i am good.

thank you for your attention.
you are always being very helpful.

ChristianZ wrote:Ok, I see now the problem, but I don't have Octane and cannot comment on that.

You still could render any particles by attaching geometry (spheres) to it? It would be slow and memory-intensive, but that should work with any render engine. Works well with Redshift here. Redshift has a "Particle"-type material that works with the particles imported with the RF-connect plugin. Similar options exist in V-Ray https://vimeo.com/255597387

Return to “Realflow”