Dspline to get a ribbon

Discussions about the use of Realflow
tsn

Re: Dspline to get a ribbon

Postby tsn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:20 am

Great to hear that you're getting there. With regards the isolated droplets and tendrils you can use a filter daemon and shift certain particles to a second domain. This domain can then be influenced by a separate, much weaker drag force, and/or a surface tension daemon, for example.

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am

That is clever... generating new particles using the filter daemon.
Im not sure which value of the list from the filter I should use, but for now Im using the "Number of Neighbors" and it seems it's starting to work. Still on development anyway.

I have a couple of doubts.
Should I use a different Mesh for each system?
Can I keep the original particles on the first emitter and just create new particles with thedifferent daemons affecting them? I say this so I can maintain both particles systems conected trough the mesh and they are not independent systems (and disconected in mesh)
Now I have 2 systems but the meshs are not connected.

The idea should be to have particles only in some areas of the flow, like when the emitter turns on the spline

Here is a picture of the setup I have now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/svvenxw38yt1j ... e.JPG?dl=0

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:44 am

and here is the RF Scene if you want to take a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a38c5ael8c2b ... t.flw?dl=0

Cheers,

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 am

Which attribute you're finally using is totally up to you and hard to tell from my perspective, but if you're happy with no. of neighbours why not ;)

Should I use a different Mesh for each system?

That's also up to you. If you have to keep the fluid visually seaprated, e.g. through colours, use 2 meshes unless you're on C4D where you can use weight maps to blend colours.

Can I keep the original particles on the first emitter and just create new particles with thedifferent daemons affecting them? I say this so I can maintain both particles systems conected trough the mesh and they are not independent systems (and disconected in mesh)

It's possible to keep the source particles, but you have to pass the filtered particles to a 2nd domain in any case. And when you keep the sources, domain 2 has to be "dumb" or disconneted from domain 1, because otherwise your fluid will be exploding.

The idea should be to have particles only in some areas of the flow, like when the emitter turns on the spline

In this case I recommend a second filter (by age) that converts back the particles from domain 2, but you'll need a 3rd domain for that. Anayway, domain 1 and 3 can be meshed together and this will give you the impression of a connected fluid, while domain 2 is separated and has different attributes (colour, density, don't know ;) )

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:37 pm

The reason Im trying this filter workflow is because I want to create tedrils and drops coming out the original ribbon flow (becasuse is to connected to the spline)... and not everywhere but ocasionally.

Im trying the neighbours filter option as it looks like it is the only one that is giving me some result. Obviously I have not the proper knowledge to select the best option, so Im experimenting...

The mesh I want it to be the same as then tendrils and drops will be kind of connected to original mesh and just leaving the flow wiyth the movement.
I thought that keeping the original particles will juyst create nuew particles with different forces, but as you said it explodes.

I dont see which caracterisctic daoes have the exterior particles in comparation with the ones closer to the spline path that can be used as fiolter attribute.

Thanks

PS.
Did you manage to check the screenshot or the scene?

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Ok, so it is working now...
The right attribute for the filter daemon is Density.. .as the density on the edge of the flow is lower than the one holded by the particles close to the spline path. Here theres a screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/svvenxw38yt1j ... e.JPG?dl=0

One more question... about the script... could you explain to me what a re this values about?
steps = 15000
maxDistance = 0.2
maxFrame = 125

Thanks

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Had to take look at the script myself again. It's been a while...

steps
The script evaluates the template spline's position values in space - it subdivides the spline into tiny segments to get resonable position values. That's why you need high numbers here.

maxDistance
This is the maximum distance between two points on the spline. The script gets the distance between the current and last spline position, and if the result is greater than or equal maxDistance and new animation key for the emitter's position and rotation curves will be created: if (pos.distance(lastPos ) >= maxDistance): ... create keys

maxFrame
You need this to scale the keys' time values and synchronize things. It's normally the last simulation frame.

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Alright... set now.

Thank you very much.. now I have now the proper flow for the Dspline effect wit much more control over the fluid. Nice one.

Would you mind checking this tread, cant find a nice solution for it.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=11474

I have tried replicating the "Bouncing Sphere Splash" from the SplashAndTendrils waterline magazine but as we know the Crown daemon is diffciult to sculpt and get a rounded crown... I wonder if just adding viscosity to the fluid on the "Bouncing Sphere" setup will be a good aproach.
Im setting now an overnight render with high resolution to check results tomorrow morning...

Thanks

angel_airlines

Postby angel_airlines » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Alright... set now.

Thank you very much.. now I have now the proper flow for the Dspline effect wit much more control over the fluid. Nice one.

Would you mind checking this tread, cant find a nice solution for it.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=11474

I have tried replicating the "Bouncing Sphere Splash" from the SplashAndTendrils waterline magazine but as we know the Crown daemon is diffciult to sculpt and get a rounded crown... I wonder if just adding viscosity to the fluid on the "Bouncing Sphere" setup will be a good aproach.
Im setting now an overnight render with high resolution to check results tomorrow morning...

Thanks

tsn

Postby tsn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:13 am

I've seen this discussion already, but don't have an out of the box solution. Viscosity won't help too much here. What you need is surface tension, but I doubt that you'll be able to get this shape just with high surface tension. Of course you can give it a go and I'd start with (perhaps) animated values of 5000 or so. A spontaneous idea is to create a force field from a torus using the "Object field" daemon. Such a ring-shaped force could be used to create this concave area. Another idea is to use a pre-shaped object as a template to guide the particles along its surface.

As said, these are just ideas and there's no guarantee they'll really work.

Return to “Realflow”