Mixing RealWave and Hybrido shorelines

Discussions about the use of Realflow

Mixing RealWave and Hybrido shorelines

Postby shawn_kearney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello all!

I have a project coming up and they're planning on going with Realflow. I fear though that what they're going to want is a wide overhead to closeup on shore, following a dynamic object as it's pushed by the waves.

This might be kind of s silly question, but is it possible to use RealWave for the open ocean, and have it "give way" to a high resolution hybrido shoreline?

Sorry if this is a fundamental question. Having trained on Houdini, I'm somewhat new to Realflow.

Re: Mixing RealWave and Hybrido shorelines

Postby tsn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:42 am

Hi shawn_kearney,

RealWave and Hybrido have something in common: the ocean statistical spectrum, aka displacement. It's based on the same parameters, so it's possible to combine RW and Hybrido, but you'll have to do many things in post. Anyway, there are many examples where users blend RealFlow/Hybrido simulations with real world oceans or a vast RealWave surface. There's even a guide here in the forum how to achieve that: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=9840

RealFlow has also something comparable to Houdini's endless oceans, and this is the Hybrido mesh engine's "Extension" mode. (see Hybrido Mesh > Node Params > Boundaries). This mode allows you to tile and repeat the Hybrido segment, and even blend structures. Maybe it can help you as well. Here's a link to a 2-part tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2WQPzZxyVI

And maybe you can do something with RealWave's displacement maps? Not sure, if they'll be of any help though, but who knows ;)

Return to “Realflow”