Emitting different Geometry objects from emitter

Discussions about the use of Realflow
Nitin

Emitting different Geometry objects from emitter

Postby Nitin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 am

Hi,
I am working on a project where I need to emit different shapes ( approx 4 shapes) of solid crystals continuously falling down in large numbers. Can this be done in real flow. If so then can someone please explain. Thanks in advance.

Nitin

tsn

Re: Emitting different Geometry objects from emitter

Postby tsn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Yes, that's possible, but only through scripting. And there are two issues making it difficult to achieve what you want. The biggest drawback is certainly that RF doesn't support the creation of objects at simulation time. In other words: all the objects you want to use have to be present before the simulation starts. The script should also have a routine to avoid intersecting objects at the time of emission.

I also assume that the objects should interact with each other. RF's rigid body engine isn't the fatest, although it might be possible that RF handles your objects. But you've said that the objects should be created in large numbers.

It's not easy to say if it's worth trying to write such a script just to see it failing. On the other hand It's not so difficult to create this script.

Nitin

Postby Nitin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply TSN. Yes, the objects would interact with each other as they fall. I don't know scripting hence will give it a pass. May have to do it in Maya.

Nitin

tsn

Postby tsn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:30 am

You're welcome Nitin. Btw, here's a tool for Maya that basically does what you want achieve and there's even a scene file included:

https://vimeo.com/90071915

Seems it uses MEL, but you'll hardly find solutions for rigid body emitter without custom scripting. Maybe it helps anyway...

Cheers,
Thomas

Nitin

Postby Nitin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks a lot once again Thomas. Really appreciate it.

Nitin

Return to “Realflow”