RealWave issue

Discussions about the use of Realflow
Fleshco

RealWave issue

Postby Fleshco » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi all,

I have been using the search to see if someone had a similar issue but couldn't find anything.

I am doing a very simple simulation of a boar running in circles in RealWave and I am having this artifact around second 4 where the water just "splashes" around the boat. I have been trying different settings to see how could I get rid of it unsuccessfully and I thought that maybe someone could help out.

Here is a video with the issue: https://vimeo.com/240389376/9f4e2af0c0

I have attached the project files to the post as well.

Thanks!

Forester

Re: RealWave issue

Postby Forester » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Yes, that is a strange artifact. Can you post the project file set to a location where we can download it and take a look? It is not possible to post files here as the board's space has been exceeded.
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

Fleshco

Postby Fleshco » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Sure thing. Here are the files:

https://mega.nz/#!ZY8WDRqC!HaI4ZTHIOo3y ... I4Z0fAUfI8

Please let me know if not working and will upload it somewhere else.

Thanks!

Forester

Postby Forester » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:44 pm

Well, the bad news is that your scene works perfectly well in my Realflow. But, I disabled the Command Line sim and have been running the sim without it so that I would be able to study and scrub the timeline to see exactly what is going on with the Realwave surface as the sim progresses. (Here is the video http://www.expandingwave.com/rfif_help/BoatTestNoCL.mp4 In this video, I made the splash particles be Not Visible so that you can see just the Realwave surface.)

Which version of Realflow are you using, and since you sent me an SD file, are you using the Cinema4D version? It must be that we are using different versions of RF because I am not getting as pronounced a set of waves as you are, but I'm using your file without any change save for switching off the CL option.

Now, I'm trying it again with the Command Line Option to see if the problem lies in the Command Line script.

I am using the latest, patched version of RF, the Standard (non-Cinema4D) version.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 pm

I haven't opened the files, just wanted to mention the Damping parameter that has a big influence on these small rapid waves (noise) in realwave simulations in general.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Forester

Postby Forester » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Good point, Christian!

Christian, this appears to be an RF10 file set as it will not open in RF2015. If you have about 30 minutes to spare, could you download and give this file a try in your C4D version of RF?

I got exactly the same result running the Command Line Option. That is, I am NOT experiencing the artifact that Fleshco displays. The circling boat wake and the splash particles generate as we should expect.

But also, I am not getting the exaggerated wave height shown in his video. So, there must be something different in the version of RF that might generate the artifact. Or there is something else going on in the SD file that will never show up in my standalone, Standard version of RF10.

Beats me!

Fleshco

Postby Fleshco » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your help. I am using 10.1.1 Standard Edition for Mac. I am going to try adjusting the damping parameter to see if I get different results.

EDIT: I might have uploaded a wrong version of the RF file. The results that you are getting are the same as with the latest version I have. But the artifact, although is way less noticeable, is still happening and will be visible if I increase the wave weight or scale.

Here is an updated version. Apologies for the confusion, must have saved without noticing:

https://mega.nz/#!EYtDxAwJ!B9UPVO8gKg_u ... iIm3J6gDNs

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 am

So I have run this file with the latest RF10 standard and it looks good. There were no noise or jump-like waves observed here.
Now you can make the waves higher and do other additions, I think.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Forester

Postby Forester » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Me too! No strange behavior in this last (uploaded) file.

Fleshco, it is worth running this with the Command Line Option turned off, so that you can scrub the simulation and take a very close look at exactly how the Realwave "waves" are forming and intercepting the boat object. One thing I see in both your uploaded files is that as the boat object turns near the "bottom" of your circle. it runs parallel to one of the forming waves in the Realflow surface for a few steps. The pressure of the boat side against the wave increases the size of that wave in thatparticular area and causes it to increase in height inside that short turning arc for awhile, and this propagates for many steps. This buildup of the wave surface could be easily reduced by increasing the arc of the turn - that is, by making the radius of the turning arc be larger or the boat itself be larger in relation to the size of the waves generated by the Statistical Spectrum function.

Forester

Postby Forester » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:36 pm

Thank you for checking out the file, Christian. This always takes a bunch of time, to download a file, set it up in RF and then run someone else's simulation for some length. To study the problem and report back. Often taking time away from other work. Personally, I greatly appreciate the forum and the time you, Thomas and Oldcode take to help me and others.

Return to “Realflow”