A Sticky Tip!

Discussions about the use of Realflow
Oldcode

A Sticky Tip!

Postby Oldcode » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:57 pm

Hey everybody,

I just made an important discovery and I wanted to share. For a long while now, I've been trying to make the Sticky function truly sticky. I wanted the particles to really really stick to the geometry. Let's say you've got a really sticky substance like tar, or if you dunk your hand into a bucket of paint. There's going to be layer of fluid that will not come off for a very long time. That's the kind of sticky I'm looking for, or, at least as close as possible.

So, I figured it out in RF 2013 for Standard particles (the same settings for RF 2014 and I presume 2015 don't work, not sure why), but Standard particles are very slow as we all know. I did one project were a shot with less than a million particles took weeks to simulate. Sometimes as much as 20 minutes per frame. I wanted to get the same effect with Dyverso but I've been having a hell of a time without success, until now. I think I've finally done it! :D

If you want your geometry to have a thin layer of particles stick to it after coming into contact with the fluid in Real Flow 2015, here's what to do.

1. Use Dyverso SPH
2. Set Viscosity to 200
3. Geometry Settings:

Friction 1.0
Bounce 0
Sticky at least 100
Roughness 0.1
Interaction 1.0

For me, the key to the problem was the Roughness setting. I was setting it way too high which causes the particles to wander over the geometry in a very erratic way, even against the gravity daemon, killing the illusion.

I'm going to try this on RF 10.1 demo to see if I can get similar results.

Hope you find this useful.

Good Luck! :D
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

tsn

Re: A Sticky Tip!

Postby tsn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:35 am

Thanks for that tip Oldcode! Always nice to see when artists push the boundaries and explore new things.

Just FYI: The sticky parameter was actually never meant to make particles really stick on an object's surface. The main intention was to make particles flow around an object in a more natural, adhesive way as shown in this image:

https://picload.org/view/dgoprcgw/object_sticky.png.html

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:37 am

tsn wrote:Just FYI: The sticky parameter was actually never meant to make particles really stick on an object's surface.

WHAT! :shock:

It's a good thing I didn't know that, else I would have given up a long time ago! :lol:

Anyway, here's a small clip I just finished to show you what I was looking for and how these settings work. Our young lady is getting a green mud bath and she's going to have a time cleaning the stuff off afterwards. ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwu37f9tw ... Sticky.wmv
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

tsn

Postby tsn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:13 am

I totally understand your confusion, but no worries: the sticky function has been improved over the years, but the initial idea was really to create this adhesive effect shown in my previous post's image.

Your results in the video are really impressive. Great work and +1 for sharing your tip! Thanks!

Return to “Realflow”