Excessive amounts of foam particles?

Discussions about the use of Realflow
IngvarH

Excessive amounts of foam particles?

Postby IngvarH » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:21 pm

I am playing around with a scene with a hybrido domain (about 5.5 million particles at the ending frame, 233), with splash(about 250 000 particles) and bubbles (about 2.5 million particles at the ending frame).

When I add foam I get extreme amounts of particles (like, for example, 265 million particles at frame 84). I have tried changing emission rate (down to 500), which doesn't change much, I have tried changing max nr. of particles, with no change, lifetime of the particles (last test min 2 sec. and max 4 sec) with no real change. So, whatever I do seems to create the same extreme nr. of particles.

I am, for the moment, and until I decide to purchase RF 10, using RF 2015. Does anyone have any idea for how to get more manageable amounts of foam-particles?

Thanks,

Ingvar H

tsn

Re: Excessive amounts of foam particles?

Postby tsn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 am

So you have splashes and bubbles in your scene as well? Bubbles can create foam when they enter the surface, but maybe you've disabled this option already? Then it's also possible to create foam from splashes, bubbles and the domain. When all three options are active the amount of foam can grow quickly, so I recommend disabling at least one of these options. Furthermore you have the foam threshold parameters and it's certainly a good idea to change them, esp. "Angle threshold" should be decreased. It creates lots of particles under certain conditions. Same goes for "Position variation": with lower settings you can decrease the number of foam particles effectively. And you can also increase curvature, speed and neighbors threshold.

If you want to use the "From splash" option make sure that your splash particles have a lifetime - something between 2 and 5 sec. is good in you simulation. This way you'll be able to use the foam domain's "Radius threshold". And maybe your foam domain is positioned in a way that it creates foam particles in areas where it's no necessary? You can lift up the domain so it creates particles only near the surface, not in deeper areas where you don't need them.

Finally, is your foam domain linked to a gravity daemon? If yes it's a good idea to cut this connection, because foam is entirely controlled by the Hybrido solver.

Hope this helps to reduce the number of foam particles.

Cheers,
Thomas

Forester

Postby Forester » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:35 pm

This all is very useful information, tsn. Thank you for this reply.

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:41 am

Forester wrote:This all is very useful information, tsn. Thank you for this reply.

;)

IngvarH

Postby IngvarH » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:54 am

Ok, after som testing I have ended up with a much more manageble 2,5 mil foam particles. It was "create foam from bubbles" that was the problem.

Thanks again for the info, it really helped.

Ingvar H

Return to “Realflow”