When I say sticky I mean STICKY

Discussions about the use of Realflow
rickregen

When I say sticky I mean STICKY

Postby rickregen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:09 am

Hey there!

So I'm having a little trouble and I'd love to know if there are any solutions out there.

I'm working in Realflow-C4D 2 with a single character and a little fluid interaction. It's essentially a pie-in-the-face kind of setup. Problem is, while sticky, roughness and friction all help the fluid stay affixed to the mesh, its not sticking *in place* on the geometry but instead it slides around, maintaining a weird kind of frictionless contact.

I realize that realflow-c4d only recently implemented "sticky" for moving geometry and I've found a lot of posts suggesting the use of magic or attractor daemons but I havent found them to be successful in solving what I would think is a common issue. Hopefully I'm missing some crucial checkbox or setting or workflow.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

ChristianZ

Re: When I say sticky I mean STICKY

Postby ChristianZ » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:43 am

Hi

I think the main problem with the sticky is that only the first layers of particles in contact with the surface stick. The rest will fall off the face. So, the forces especially attractor is the solution because you can fine tune by falloff how far the force should work and animat its strength.
Regarding moving geometry I have no experience myself, but I could think about disabling physics simulation entirely for this part of the dirt or cake and fuse it with the geometry.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 am

Hey guys,

I've had a lot of problems over the years with this issue too. So far, the I've gotten the best results from Standard particles in RF2013. I had a scene once that was working great in 13, but when I opened the same scene in RF2014, the particles would not stick and simply fell off. :x

In RF10, using the Dyverso Viscosity channel, the main problem is not that the particles don't stick, its that friction and the roughness don't do their job as well as they do in Standard particles. If I have an object covered in a viscous fluid with sticky set to 10 and Friction and Roughness both set to 1, the particles do stick, but they don't stay put. In fact, even with very low sticky settings, they ride up the geometry, even against gravity, and look completely unrealistic.

From what I've seen of the Attractor deamon, I don't think you can have the control you would need to keep the particles to stay where you want.

Rickregen, I don't know which version of Real Flow you have, but for something small like a pie in the face, I'd use standard particles with a viscosity value of about 200, sticky also at 200, friction of 0.1, and Roughness of 0.1 to .01.

Good Luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Forester

Postby Forester » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am

Tractor Daemon! :)

See the discussion on page 2 of The River Rhone thread in this forum.....

Use the Tractor Daemon to keep the great mass of particles in the vicinity of the pie as it moves. You'll need to animate the Tractor Daemon to follow the movement of the pie, but it works well for this type of problem.

This is the great thing about this Forum! Multiple solutions to common problems worked out by multiple people :D
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

Return to “Realflow”