object crashing through body of water

Discussions about the use of Realflow
DanL

object crashing through body of water

Postby DanL » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi,

I'm researching what will be the right fluid sim for a project and wondered if realFlow would be appropriate to simulate fluid being displaced by an object.

I've got an example of the rough sort of thing I'm trying to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLL6oseE5_U&t=61s

It would need to be slow motion as if filmed by a high speed camera, would realfow do this sort of thing without much hassle ?

If anybody has any thoughts on this then I'd love to hear them, thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Dan

Oldcode

Re: object crashing through body of water

Postby Oldcode » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 am

Looks like Real Flow could do it. You'd have to increase the frame rate considerably. Real Flow, I think, defaults to 30 frames per second, so I guess it would depend on how slow you wanted it to be. Also, for something as slow as the You Tube clip, you'd also need to increase the Substeps (number of calculations per frame) which will increase simulation time.

Good Luck,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:51 am

In addition to what Oldcode said, from previous experience with similar simulations I may predict that not every phase of the event will become visible exactly like in the real world. Especially that splash around the entrance area of the object might not happen, meaning that the object enters the liquid, but without much splash, a tunnel will form, the tunnel collapses and only then there is a rebouncing splash at the surface.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Forester

Postby Forester » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:08 pm

As Oldcode says, you would want to increase the number of substeps. But rather than increase the frame rate, simple use the Retiming option in Realflow to create the slow-motion effect.

The re-timing facility is quite easy to use and gives great results. Apparently not a lot of people experiment with it, but it gives excellent results for waterfalls, and for projects generatinga lot of flickering light.
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

Return to “Realflow”