Particle Selection Tool

Discussions about the use of Realflow
Oldcode

Particle Selection Tool

Postby Oldcode » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Hey everybody,

Is there a way to use the Particle Selection tool to select some Dyverso particles and delete them, then saving the changes to the BIN file? I'm able to do this with Standard Particles by creating a small script, but I can't even active the particle selection tool when I'm using Dyverso.

I use this technique to delete stray particles in an otherwise normal simulation that shoot off in a weird way and ruin the shot.

Thanks,
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Forester

Re: Particle Selection Tool

Postby Forester » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:05 pm

No, the particle selection tool for the SPH solver will not work on the Dyverso solver particles. This is because the Dyverso solver uses a volume technology - not an individual smart particle technology. (Look in the User Guide for a complete explanation.)

Your have two methods of eliminating unwanted particles in the Dyverso solver. One is to use kill_Volumes and the other is to use kill_Isolated Particles.

The kill_Isolated Particles rarely works well, and takes a few extra simulation steps before it has any real effect.

So, in practise, you need to make good use of kill_Volumes in the "Inverse" setting for the volume object. That is, shape and position a kill_Volume cube or sphere wherever it is needed to intercept the particles you don't want. Make sure that kill_Volume is using the "Inverse" setting, so that any particles that enter that volume are deleted.

You can have many relatively small kill_Volumes in a scene if you really need them, and once they're positioned, you can turn off their Visibility (plus turn off the visibility of the icon) so that you can see what you're doing as you build out the scene and run through the simulation.

"Kludgy", I know, but that's your only choice.
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

Oldcode

Postby Oldcode » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks Forester,

I'll look into using the Kill_Volumes to help, but nothing beats the ability to see a stray particles, select it, and then simply delete it so not only is it gone from that frame, but it rids it from the frames to come while simulating. :(
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

Forester

Postby Forester » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Agreed! :)

Just not applicable in the voxel technology.....
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

Return to “Realflow”