2 fluids collide to make new fluid

Discussions about the use of Realflow
whatuk

2 fluids collide to make new fluid

Post by whatuk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:46 pm

hi,
i'm wanting to create something very simular to this:
https://vimeo.com/51603255

but when the fluids collide they make a third colour, say red.

how would i do this? it seems simple, but i can't figure it out!

thanks

ChristianZ

Re: 2 fluids collide to make new fluid

Post by ChristianZ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi

no, not so easy… and by the way, the movie you posted is also not showing this. The problem is, that these are particle-particle collisions and not particle-object collisions. For the second you can use the filter daemon, but for the first I don't know the solution.
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

whatuk

Post by whatuk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:44 am

ah ok. i know the movie i posted doesn't show this, but it shows the first part of what i want to do, which i've done no problem. i've read about maybe using a foam script, or the melt shader in maya. basically what i need to show is 2 coloured fluids smashing into one another, and making a third colour.

ChristianZ

Post by ChristianZ » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:08 pm

I see. So the fastest way to the goal would be faking the effect. For example using the filter daemon again to transfer the particles to another emitter (which has parameter speed=0) when the particles fulfill one of the criteria of the filter (the age, or speed or if they are lower etc) simply at the time or location of the 2 colliding streams of particles, but not because they are actually colliding.
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

tsn

Post by tsn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:37 am

You can use the Melt shader in Maya for creating this effect. Unfortunately, I'm not on Maya, so I don't know how to use the shader here, but I know that this shader uses weight maps. The trick is to put your colliding emitters inside a single mesh container (don't create separate meshes). Then RF will extract the weight maps which can be used by the melt shader and create this bending effect. The shader's "Melt Index" is used to control how strong the colours should blend.

chrispan

Post by chrispan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:46 pm

The easiest way is by using the filter daemon. you can tell the particles, that they should change after a certain age to a container emitter. Put all 3 Emitters in 1 mesh to get the weight maps. than use them in your favorite 3D program. If you ant it more specific, python scripting is the way.

Return to “Realflow”