Another Dspline problem

Discussions about the use of Realflow
Billabong

Another Dspline problem

Post by Billabong » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:13 am

Sorry for all the posts lately, just really trying to nail down this program. I have a project where I have a spiral path that leads down to a glass that the fluid from the path is suppose to fill. I have been messing with this Dspline for two days and have achieved nothing but complete frustration.

Ill get it coming down vertically, but then once it starts on the spiral, the fluid will either stop completely or it will pass through, but it will eventually break apart. I have taken the Axial CP from .005 to 25 and nothing seems to work. my CP radius has gone from 2 to 4. My main axial strength for the Dspline was at 1, but changed it to two, with no luck. I could really use some advice. Should I stick with the Dspline on this or would this be a job for Crowdflow(which is another very confusing Daemon), I watched the only tutorial there is on Crowdflow(didnt help a lot).

Ive uploaded a video so you can see what happening as well as a screengrab on the path.

Thank you guys for any help you can give me.

http://www.billa1.com/downloads/dspline.mp4
Attachments
dspline_path.jpg
dspline_path.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

chrispan

Re: Another Dspline problem

Post by chrispan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Don't be sorry,
that's what the forum is for: solving problems :)

I know your problems too well. Dspline and Crowdflow are from hell ;)
I didn't like working with Crowdflow, it looked good, but for me the main problem was, that if you stopped the simulation inbetween and continued the simulation from there crowdflow stopped working.
I always had to resimulate from the start. Horrible Workflow.

With Dspline I choose a "radial strength" around 10 to 20 and set the "axial strength" to around 2-3 (should be around your emitters speed, I guess)
Radial attracts the Particles towards the dSpline and Axial pushes them along the dSpline.
And to have a better control of breaking apart I use often a kSpeed daemon with "Limit and Keep" activated. Look for your Emitter maximum speed in the Display Tab and if you aren't happy with your particles flying away, put the limit below.

What I don't like with dSpline, it can't make nice quick curves. It always produces some little kinks and doesn't really follow the organic shaped path.
Somebody has a solution for that?

So let's hope for Realflow 2015 and the newly developed Spline Daemon. Maybe than it's getting easier.

Billabong

Re: Another Dspline problem

Post by Billabong » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Thank you so much Chris for helping me out. I'm going to try your suggestions at lunch. I will let you know how it goes. I posted this over at the official realflow forums as well, so maybe Luis will chime in.

Thank you so much again.

-Brandon

Return to “Realflow”