Airflow (CFD Simulation) Around Moving Objects

Discussions about the use of Realflow
zebualvi

Airflow (CFD Simulation) Around Moving Objects

Postby zebualvi » Sun May 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi, I am working on a motion capture project for my class in which I am trying to show behavior of air particles as they interact with objects moving in a closed space/room. It is similar to what you see in a Wind Tunnel or CFD Simulations. Here is an example of exactly what I am after but done in an actual CFD software - http://www.capvidia.com/capvidia-in-the ... 3d-objects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SehvIVdUYHI

CFD simulations are extremely hard to do and require a lot of time which unfortunately I don't have as my presentation is due in a few weeks.

So my question is - Is it possible to do that with realflow? If it then could somebody kindly point me to a tutorial for something similar?

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jehanzeb Alvi

Otuama

Re: Airflow (CFD Simulation) Around Moving Objects

Postby Otuama » Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 am

Realflow isn't designed for CFD sims. You could fake it, maybe, by changing the emitter display to arrows and setting the colours of the particles and setting some fields, but it'll take a lot of work to look correct so I wouldn't bother.

However, Nextlimit have some CFD software called Xflow. If you can get it, it may be worth giving that a try. I've never used it so I'm not sure if there's a forum or anything.
iCreate Ltd
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi
'What Does Success Look Like?' - iCreate Ltd

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Mon May 12, 2014 9:04 am

It depends, if there should be a real numerical evaluation of the experiment, or just a visualization of the airflow. The second would be possible, also with realflow.
An easy option would be Maya fluids, because such a project is included in the visor-examples with every Maya installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbC86JbjwI
RF10 standard + RFC4D

Deejay

Postby Deejay » Mon May 12, 2014 1:47 pm

TurbulenceFD could possibly help, they do a 3d and a 2d version

zebualvi

Postby zebualvi » Mon May 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I am considering TFD myself, as there's a guy Paul Selhi who is doing some tuts on this in the next few weeks. I read good things about RealFlow and that it did CFD so wanted to try it myself. Hopefully I can get FlowVision to work which does that natively. If I have to fake it though then Maya option sounds really good. Thanks for that, I had no idea Maya was capable of that. You learn a new thing everyday.

Return to “Realflow”