Retiming with particle positions intact for mesh UVs

Discussions about the use of Realflow
tjplum

Retiming with particle positions intact for mesh UVs

Postby tjplum » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:45 am

Hi All :)

hoping someone might be able to help me out with some knowledge...

I am creating a Hybrido room flooding sim.
I'm using a particle VDB mesh to mesh the resulting simulation.
the simulation meshes fine with UVs intact for rendering in Cinema 4d.

the problem arises once i retime the simulation...
when i mesh the retimed particles the mesh has no UVs anymore.
i didn't have any luck retiming the mesh itself, it seemed to duplicate one frame over and over... so now I'm just trying to mesh the retimed particles.
the retimer crashes if I try to retime the hybrido emitter also... yet the domain will retime without issues ( i have made sure no objects or sd animation is being retimed )

I'm then loading the retimed .bin particles into a binary loader and meshing from that.
is there another way to load the retimed particles so they can be meshed with a particle VDB mesh and have the particle UVs intact.
or are the ups being lost altogether in the retiming step ?
i tested meshing with a Hybrido VDB mesh and it seemed the UVs weren't created properly and i can't seem to achieve same look as with a particle mesh.

is there a workaround anyone knows of by chance ?
and is there a way to check if a .bin particle seq contains the correct channels to give the mesh its UV ( assuming this is the particle position channel ?)

also any info on the texture gizmo would be appreciated... wasn't able to work out if its something that could re-create the UVs on a retimed sim or mesh ?
found zero info or tutorials on its use and the reflow help files contain only very basic info on it from what i could see.
I'm guessing its for other purposes but notice it was a "remap on play" setting for cached particles and thought that may apply in my case ?

if theres any more info i can give regarding this case let me know... happy to help clarify

any help would be massively appreciated... this one has me proper stumped. :)
all the best and thanks in advance.

tsn

Re: Retiming with particle positions intact for mesh UVs

Postby tsn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi there,

You're digging into many different things here, so I'll try to sort things a bit.

i didn't have any luck retiming the mesh itself, it seemed to duplicate one frame over and over... so now I'm just trying to mesh the retimed particles.

That's is definitely the better idea. Retimed meshes don't lead to satisfying results, because a mesh's number of poygons and vertices changes over time and this is something the retimer can't cope with. And, as you've mentioned already, UVs aren't considered at all.

I'm then loading the retimed .bin particles into a binary loader and meshing from that. is there another way to load the retimed particles so they can be meshed with a particle VDB mesh and have the particle UVs intact.

Hybrido and BIN don't go together very well and I'd stay with RPC or ABC. Most of the BIN channels will remain empty anyway, because Hybrido uses only a fraction of a standard or Dyverso simulation's channels. The only thing you get is bigger files. In order to use Hybrido RPCs in conjunction with a particle VDB mesh you have to export the emitter's RPC export resource explicitly. Then you'll be able to add the emitter to the particle VDB mesher.

i tested meshing with a Hybrido VDB mesh and it seemed the UVs weren't created properly and i can't seem to achieve same look as with a particle mesh.

That's new to me, but it might be related to the BINs. You should always check if the mesh's "Texture" channel is active in the Export Resources, esp. when you're on C4D - this channel is required by C4D to assign proper UVs and channel information.

also any info on the texture gizmo would be appreciated...

You should really try to fix UVs by using RPCs and activating the "Texture" channel, because the texture gizmo daemon finally opens Pandora's Box. I was dealing with this daemon some years ago, but I'm not sure if I still have my notes and scenes. If yes I'd be happy to send everything to you.

Cheers,
Thomas

Return to “Realflow”