Filter Daemon "On Particle Collision"

Discussions about the use of Realflow
codyburke3d

Filter Daemon "On Particle Collision"

Postby codyburke3d » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello,

Any reason why my particles would not be transferring to a second domain using the "on particle collision setting" in the filter daemon? I have particles falling into a cup and then when they make contact with the cup I'd like them to move to a new domain that has other daemons attached to it. Everything seems to be setup correctly but even in the command window my Domain_02 says "0" particles"

ChristianZ

Re: Filter Daemon "On Particle Collision"

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am

Hello,

there may be some setting which is not yet correct. Maybe try the "Filter Daemon Basic" Demo project that comes with RF10 to test if that works for you and then switch to a collision condition.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

codyburke3d

Postby codyburke3d » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm on RF 2015 at the moment and don't see that scene. Maybe it's a bug? The exact steps I'm taking in a more simplified scene are:

Add Dyverso Domain, Circle Emitter, Gravity and a Plane.
Add second Dyverso Domain (make sure they have the same resolution).
Disconnect second dyverso domain from the Hub and connect the gravity and plane to it
Add filter daemon. Source is first domain, target is 2nd domain. Condition is "on particle collision"
Simulate and 2nd domain receives no particles at collision.

If I keep the 2nd domain connected to the hub I do see some extra particles in the 2nd domain but not from collision on the plane, it's coming from the 1st frame of it colliding with the other particles in domain_01.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:33 pm

I tried to replicate this in RF2015, but this version does not work well here anymore (2014 still works, strange).

So, I repeated it in RF10 and it seems to behave well (transfer from blue to green domain on collision).

Maybe you find some difference in the screenshot.

By the way, particle-particle collisions don't exist for the filter daemon. Only collisions with objects are taken into account.

RF10 standard + RFC4D

Forester

Postby Forester » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Both domains must be attached to the hub for this to work.

And there might be a misunderstanding here. "On Particle Collision" only refers to when particles collide with an "object." Particles that collide with other particles are picked up in the "On Particle Collision" process. They're just ignored. Oh, apologies, Christian. I see that you explained this also.

Are you using a k_Volume by any chance?
Windows 7 Pro 64 - Realflow 10.1.2.0162 (Nov 2017 patched) Standard Version

codyburke3d

Postby codyburke3d » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Yeah this is definitely a bug in 2015.

The more I use 2015 the more I'm realizing it's not a very stable version. I'm finding a lot of quirks that are really annoying and it's just an issue in 2015.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be getting 10 soon!

Return to “Realflow”