Filling Bucket Granular Dyverso - help losing volume

Discussions about the use of Realflow
rich0550

Filling Bucket Granular Dyverso - help losing volume

Postby rich0550 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 am

i use fil object an as I turn up the resolution the sand settles down to 10% of the bottom, what setting keeps the sand from losing volume? thanks

tsn

Re: Filling Bucket Granular Dyverso - help losing volume

Postby tsn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 am

The fill object emitter creates a regular particle matrix based on the "Resolution" parameter. This process produces gaps and when "Resolution" is very small the gaps will be bigger. Now you add a force like gravity: the particles collapse, fall down and settle - they fill the space between them.

The solution is to use an emitter like "Circle" to fill the bucket over time. Once you're happy stop the simulation and create an initial state. Then reset to the initial state, but don't forget to set the emitter's "Speed" to 0, otherwise you'll start the filling process again.

Cheers,
Thomas

rich0550

Postby rich0550 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Thomas,

Firstly thank you for response, much appreciated! I was afraid of that. I remember having to do that with a pool of water. But it sure did not settle down to %2 of the volume like the sand.

Filling a bucket with sand would take allot of particles and later would be quite a lot of polys would think? I wanted to show a bucket dumping sand for a small job site project. Maybe more work than its worth?

If I go with a low resolution there will be gaps would expect between the particle correct? I bringing it into 3ds Max, not sure if you use Max but, I load it up in the particle loader and assign a shape to the particles. That is the best way correct? not using Krakatoa or Thinkbox bitfrost plugin ect.

Thanks!!

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm

2% of the original volume? There's definitely something going wrong. I just did a quick test with a 2x2x2 standard cube and a granular domain. Resolution is 4 and it ended up with approx. 50% of the original volume. With substeps set to 4/6 and stacking = 0.1 I get roughly 85-90% of the original volume. With 40 iterations it's more than 95% after 150 frames. I have 200.000 particles and the GPU turned on. Simulation time for 200 frames is ca. 35 sec. I think that's pretty fast. So even if you fill the bucket gradually it shouldn't take too long, but the fill emitter should work here.

BTW, what's the domain's interpenetration value? It should be 1.0, otherwise you really end up with a flat and shallow layer of sand.

rich0550

Postby rich0550 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 pm

thanks I will try this, as i increased resolution the sand settled quite a bit more. How would you deal with very small grains? are you rendering in 3dsmax?

tsn

Postby tsn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am

Yes, that's normal with increased resolution: this parameter control the radius of the particles (higher resolution = smaller radius) and therefore the distance between the particles will be smaller.

I'm on C4D and I use scatterers, RealFlow | Cinema 4D, or Thinking Particles to apply grain instances to the particles. This way I get a pretty good impression of sand.

Return to “Realflow”