Frothlords WIP Thread

Post here to join the contest
frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:07 am

Hey thanks for the happy birthday! Was an interesting one for sure.

Even through all the cake and beer. And liquor cake. And more beer.... I still managed to find some time to mess around some more. Here's the latest preview animation I have:

Preview 04

The original idea was to have the ball move from one room to the next. I had put a pipe at the end for that reason, it could drop down into a room below it. I wanted to make things a bit reasonable though, so instead of a random pipe I decided to put a hole in the floor.. like if there was this obscure alien, and it had acid for blood, and the blood leaked through it.. a hole that something like that may make :D

...Well, it makes more sense then a pipe. Also having a floor below gives me quite a bit of momentum, rather then edge it to the room next door.

I started working on some hinge models, and domino models. I'm not entirely happy with either at the moment, ill post some screens when I get more time to mess with them.

Oh.. question. I tried importing my latest .sd file, and none of the spheres are coming over. I tried simulating them out individually and I get some kind of wrong name error or something. Anyone else experience this? I'm not too worried about it, Ive gotten it to work before. If anything ill replace the balls and resim.

Jockomo

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby Jockomo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:16 am

frothlord wrote: I wanted to make things a bit reasonable though, so instead of a random pipe I decided to put a hole in the floor.. like if there was this obscure alien, and it had acid for blood, and the blood leaked through it.. a hole that something like that may make :D

...Well, it makes more sense then a pipe.

Got any of that cake left?

Great work!
Scott Lissard - videovoodoo.tv

daantjuh44

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby daantjuh44 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:44 pm

That ending is awesome !

I love that hammer falling and giving the ball an extra tap

my only crit would be to make the first spline a bit smoother near the end but Im not sure if its a little bumpy though I might be wrong

btw I'm not talking about the jump at the end but the bit before that as it leaves the corner

overall its awesome !

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Hey thanks :) I took a look and yea its could be a bit smoother. I had a really busy week/weekend and didnt get much done. I plan on doing some stuff today. Id like to try and blend some RBD with fluids.

Also I wanted to try out some of the other daemons like wind. Blowing stuff across the top of water and stuff.

I'll tweak that first spline first thing, shouldn't cause a problem I dont think.

daantjuh44

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby daantjuh44 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:19 pm

cant wait for some more updates !

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Well last night didn't go as planned. Some things came up and I ended up crashing early. With Thanksgiving coming up I dont see myself getting much done this week. I'm going to try for a hour in a day. The weekend is lookin good though - maybe I can hit it hard then :)

I really want to get this thing rollin. Going to need rendering time still.

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 am

Ok took a little break from things for a while there. Holiday and all. Think im ready to get my head back into it :)

So.. I tried messing with fluids and incorporating them into the scene. I had planned on having some really flashy fluid effects, but after fooling around with them I decided that with time constraints (not only with contest deadline, but real life stuff as well), I'm going to stick with whats working. I'll venture out of the comfort zone but I'm not going to dwell on it for more then a day.

That being said, I did get SOMETHING done today heh.

New Preview 05

This is right after the drop through the floor, I didn't get the rest of the stuff in camera view, but its all there (same scene).

Well, the idea was to have the spindle at the end knock a panel around, which I had an idea to maybe kick off 2 domino effects at once or something (woo :)). I decided to call it a night though so I didnt get the little goof at the end ironed out.

Over the past week I also messed around a bit with possible camera moves. Heres the animation preview of that:

Cam Test Preview

If that makes anyone sick let me know ill change it. Maybe ill experiment with some cutaways so I can get more focus on the cool parts instead of transitioning when they kick off.

I'm considering having this thing to feed the dog. That is, drop food in a dog dish (thanks Luke for the recommendation on that) and fill up a bowl with water. Gonna try making the last part as elaborate as possible :) (edit: Not entirely sold on this idea, still thinkin it through. Guess I'll have to see)

Ok time for bed, sorry about the lengthy post. I get carried away sometimes.

daantjuh44

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby daantjuh44 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:47 pm

I really like the new update !

The camera moves are really smooth I only think its a bit to fast when its about to knock the long row of dominoes over.

I can wait to see some more cool updates :D

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:46 pm

Hey thanks Daantjuh44 :)

I havent had a chance to fix that first spline there. Im thinking im going to update it once I get my environment set. I was working on it some last night... heres what I got:

Env - 01 : Far view

Env - 02 : Close up area

Env - 02a : Close up with RF rig, faked hole in ground

Im thinkin of starting it off now by being outside the window, and pulling back inside it with a sphere sitting on the ledge. Then having that fall off into a little whatever mechanism and down to where I have it kicking off at the moment.

I dont want to incorporate any characters into the scene (not really a character guy), and seeing how that Honda ad kinda just kicked off I figured this way should be fine.

The materials I want to go with are going to be clean and simple, I dont want to spend too much time on that. Little or no UVing for the interior - though I do have plans on making that big part sticking out the side of the window UV'd to resemble more of a space station type environment.

My goal for renders is 5m a frame (yea right), and right now im aiming at 45seconds to 1 minute of RF material. It would be ideal to get 3-5 days for comping in there, hopefully It gives me enough time to pull off what I've got in my head heh. I'm going to aim to start rendering mid December.

Oh yea, that scrubbing board on the wall to the left is planned to be one of those indoor waterfalls. I had a good test last night. It would have done the job i think but in an effort for something better I switched some things up and I plan to try to get a sim out tonight.

8cores

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby 8cores » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 am

wow, looks great ! good luck !!

Return to “Contest WIP”