Frothlords WIP Thread

Post here to join the contest
frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Ok here I am again! New thread topic.

I'm kind of a newcomer so I'm trying to take it easy on the highly complex dynamic events. I figure I can try and get clever with the more mainstream ball hitting a domino stuff.

Froth's Preview Test

This is what I've done so far. I wanted to see how difficult this would be to pull off, and as it turns out It wasn't very hard at all. It just needed a little bit of tweaking to the object and surface friction. The only force in the scene at the moment is gravity at its default value.

The scene scale was also a factor when I first imported my mesh (from max). The simulation was taking 900 frames for the ball to get half way down the rails. Changing it to .1 made a nice difference, and it's simulating at more of a reasonable speed now.

I'm still trying to decide on what my machine will actually do. I'm ping ponging between a couple different ideas (and levels of difficulty). I'd ultimately like to have the scene make a bit of sense, and to have enough time to get the rendering and composoting done. This is pushing me towards a more simple outcome.

Anyways, Ive got some structure in Max boxed out, just so I have an idea of what might be cool to do. No idea if I'll be able to pull some of it off but we'll see.

Once I put some more time into it ill post my rough schematic.

EDIT: Editing this to add a link to my final piece.

Frothlord RF Contest Submission MED (40meg) (quicktime)

Frothlord RF Contest Submission HIGH (200meg) (quicktime)

lukeiamyourfather

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:20 pm

Nice test, the ball moves along the track great. The smooth motion of steel on steel is convincing. The scale is very important as you've already figured out with the test, also tweaking the frame rate a little can help to deal with scale issues (but not always). Cheers!

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Well heres an update.

Ive been boxing out a "rough draft" in max. It's nothing pretty, just pretty much proxy objects. I did try fleshing out the beginning part, but for the sake of making progress with the dynamics I decided to start trying to get things to work.

Rough Schematic Screengrab

Preview Ver. 2

Everything is cause and effect dynamics except for the end part. The tube has a cylinder keyframed to pop the ball out. The idea after that was to have it tap the domino stairs, but instead of killing off the ball I was going to try rerouting it so it knocks a paddle below the stairs to "complete a circuit" so to say.

Im thinking after I figure out this last part I'm going to have it actually travel somewhere. Right now I kinda feel like Ive kept everything in a confined space, and pretty much to the same scale.

Is there any rule against having a certain theme? I thought it might be cool to have a space theme, where I'd be able to get away with cutting off gravity in certain portions. It also might add to it that theres an overly complicated but simple machine on a complex spaceship :)

ChristianZ

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby ChristianZ » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:34 am

That is already a great mechanism ! :walkman:

Space-theme is welcome, as any other crazy idea.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:13 pm

ChristianZ wrote: That is already a great mechanism ! :walkman:

Hey thanks :) Kind of having a bit of fun playin with this. I havent done much else this weekend.

I was trying to reroute the last ball so it swung around a ramp at the end of the stairs.. It wasn't working like I had hoped, so I switched it up a bit. Anyone notice that if you simulate, rewind a bit, and sim again sometimes you get different results? This is what I'm experiencing on some parts. It was really tough to place the rocker at the top of the tube pop when the trajectory kept changing.

Anyways, heres my update for today.

Preview Update 3

The last part gets a little wonky. The mass value on the 2 rails at the end was very small, I think thats why it was bouncing up and down when the ball hit it. I figured I hit my stopping point for today, I'll do some more later.

Here are some closer screen grabs so it makes a little more sense how I have it set up.

Screen_DominoPlate
Screen_Hammer
Screen_DominoEnd

Ive just been using Hinge constraints so far. I plan on having this last ball go somewhere - ill have to think of something cool :)

Was thinking of maybe making the domino's some sort of memory card or cartridge, and the blocks that fall a bunch of batteries (or power cells). I had a cool idea for the chute thing, maybe make it some kinda device that projects a force field on the inner part. Just aesthetics, I'll try to make some sense out of it.

Only 14 seconds so far. That got me thinkin, is there a minimum/maximum duration requirement for submissions? I dont recall seeing anything in the rules.

lukeiamyourfather

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:13 am

frothlord wrote: [quote=ChristianZ]That is already a great mechanism ! :walkman:

Hey thanks :) Kind of having a bit of fun playin with this. I havent done much else this weekend.

I was trying to reroute the last ball so it swung around a ramp at the end of the stairs.. It wasn't working like I had hoped, so I switched it up a bit. Anyone notice that if you simulate, rewind a bit, and sim again sometimes you get different results? This is what I'm experiencing on some parts. It was really tough to place the rocker at the top of the tube pop when the trajectory kept changing.

Anyways, heres my update for today.

Preview Update 3

The last part gets a little wonky. The mass value on the 2 rails at the end was very small, I think thats why it was bouncing up and down when the ball hit it. I figured I hit my stopping point for today, I'll do some more later.

Here are some closer screen grabs so it makes a little more sense how I have it set up.

Screen_DominoPlate
Screen_Hammer
Screen_DominoEnd

Ive just been using Hinge constraints so far. I plan on having this last ball go somewhere - ill have to think of something cool :)

Was thinking of maybe making the domino's some sort of memory card or cartridge, and the blocks that fall a bunch of batteries (or power cells). I had a cool idea for the chute thing, maybe make it some kinda device that projects a force field on the inner part. Just aesthetics, I'll try to make some sense out of it.

Only 14 seconds so far. That got me thinkin, is there a minimum/maximum duration requirement for submissions? I dont recall seeing anything in the rules.[/quote]
That put a smile on my face. As far as I know there isn't any minimum or maximum length, just whatever you feel like and whatever is reasonable (long enough to get the point, short enough to not get bored). I'm looking forward to the progress. Cheers!

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:01 am

Thanks Luke :)

I haven't got much to show today.

I optimized the scene I have a little. It pretty much looks the same, but its much more efficient, I keyed simulations on and off in certain parts to speed things up. I also made some ball buckets bigger since sometimes they wouldnt end up in there without a couple of different sim attempts. One ball just kept wanting to veer right.

I changed those blocks that get knocked down under the rails to fit more of a power cell shape. They act heavier too.

I did take a break from the dynamics to work on some concepts. I was thinking of having a futuristic look to things, I started with the marble and cell. Nothings final.. who knows - when render time comes the light materials on the cell(s) might have to go. I had the multiplier pumped to 20 on it to start and it looked really sweet, but render times for the test didnt look too good. That sucker was glowing :)

Here's the concept pieces

I tried my best to keep the marble round, but with cuts in it. If it doesn't look right at render time I'll change it up a bit as well. Id like to try it out though. I think the light material on the edges might be neat in a dim lit environment (such as pipes going from room to room).

Anyways - probably wont get much done during the week. Next thing I want to do is try out an idea involving a breakable capsule full of water and a "laser" :)

frothlord

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby frothlord » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm a little clamped on time during the week, so not much to show. I'll try simming out the latest addition to the machine tonight, meanwhile heres a screengrab with the idea:

Rough Draft Screen 05

It probably doesnt make much sense right now. I need to resim it since all the tweaking to the last part (with the hammer) made the objects jump around in full play-through.

I didn't have time last night, and decided to take a break to check into importing .SD files in max. Wow. How simple! This was the easiest part so far. everything comes in (not to scale, but hey thats what the scale tool is for) perfectly.

It's going to be a relief knowing the last part of this project will be familear. This is one heck of a learning experience, in both RBD and just how RF works.

Here's a sphere concept parented to the SD animation and rendered real fast (heh) in V-Ray.

Render and Animation Test 02

So.. tonight hopefully I'll get a full playback up to my current point. If I have time I wanted to get some detail in the domino pieces and rocker parts.

shaun_michael

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:31 pm

Looking very interesting, and happy birthday btw.

Shaun

lukeiamyourfather

Frothlords WIP Thread

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Its really coming along great! Based on the screen, the complexity of the rigid body dynamics has really been taken up a notch.

Return to “Contest WIP”