How do I submit a work for the contest?

Post here to join the contest
Elgyn

Postby Elgyn » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:55 pm

Hello,

You can count me in.

But would someone mind pointing out one or more examples of an incredible machine that performs everyday mundane task? :)

Also, How do I submit a work for the contest? Just post my final video clip URL here in this thread?

Also, what exactly does this mean:
"Entrants must open a WIP thread in the appropriate section of the forum and regularly submit wireframe screengrabs and/or preview animations of their project as it progresses."

Question: how regularly?
I understand that a participant can also register on the realflowforum on 14 december to be able to take part in the contest. In 1 day, how on earth should he be able to regulary submit wireframe screengrabs and preview animations of the project as it progresses?

All the best,
Elgyn

Herbert

Postby Herbert » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:13 am

Welcome. You get a pm on how to upload dont worry.

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:31 am

Also, what exactly does this mean:
"Entrants must open a WIP thread in the appropriate section of the forum and regularly submit wireframe screengrabs and/or preview animations of their project as it progresses."

Question: how regularly?
I understand that a participant can also register on the realflowforum on 14 december to be able to take part in the contest. In 1 day, how on earth should he be able to regulary submit wireframe screengrabs and preview animations of the project as it progresses?

It's pretty straight forward really. Open a thread in the contest WIP forum, and submit wireframes/stills etc as you progress. The faster you progress, the more updates you will make/submit. This is in the rules to help prevent someone from potentially just dumping a project that was made ages ago and passing it off as new work. A suspicious example might be "I'm entering on 14th December", then two hours later "Here's the finished piece". Maybe a bit extreme but there you go. As for allowing people to enter up until the closing date, why not? It doesn't make sense to leave it that late of course, but if you only found the forum a week before the closing date, you shouldn't be excluded from being able to enter.

Shaun

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:35 am

But would someone mind pointing out one or more examples of an incredible machine that performs everyday mundane task?

This is a ficticious machine. Follow the links in the rules and you'll see what we mean. Google it, go the the "See also" section on Wikipedia, look up the game "Mousetrap". There are plenty of examples knocking about, but really, you will be doing many mundane things every day that involve little or no effort on your behalf, so think of a ridiculous machine that can do that task for you, and there you have your Rube Goldberg, or "Incredibly Useless" machine right there.

Good luck.

Shaun

Herbert

Postby Herbert » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:14 pm

Elgyn wrote: But would someone mind pointing out one or more examples of an incredible machine that performs everyday mundane task? :)

You could also take a look at wallace & gromit - there are also a lot of crazy machines.

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:24 pm

Herbert wrote: [quote=Elgyn]But would someone mind pointing out one or more examples of an incredible machine that performs everyday mundane task? :)

You could also take a look at wallace & gromit - there are also a lot of crazy machines.[/quote]
Here's a few to start with:

- Back to the Future
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
- The Rock

There are some good ones on here too:

http://gizmodo.com/5015735/the-top-10-rube-goldberg-machines-featured-on-film

zistambus

Postby zistambus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:24 pm

HI,
nice to know a contest is starting after so long!
But this gets v difficult to understand... well realflow is mainly fr fluids...and this contest expects us to create machines:(.
Can we get a better topic...? and most of us i guess havn't understood v much abt the machine...

Pl explain in more detail with examples.
Thanks!

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:50 pm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4187430023476942057

Here's an excellent example of a very complex machine used to press a car remote control button. Realflow also does Rigid body dynmaics quite well. It's up to you whether you incorporate fluids into this or not, but it's not a vast stretch of the imagination to see how one might.

Shaun

Elgyn

Postby Elgyn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Alright, if I understand correctly then we are supposed to create something like that :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iauQ1DHzBtg

A lot of rigid body dynamics.

Regards,
Elgyn

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Alot of dynamics, yes, but it doesn't necessarily have to be exclusively rigid body dynamics, as fluid dynamics can also be used to move objects around, although RBD will play a large role in it.

Shaun

Return to “Contest WIP”