Softbody for Snow

Discussion about softbody / cloth simulation in Realflow 4
krishnadeepak

Softbody for Snow

Postby krishnadeepak » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 am

Hi All,

Need info if RF can handle softbody simulations as Maya's, i am making a character ski down a hill and i need the deformations happening as real ski does in the snow (dents in the snow), is there anyway i can do the skiing deformations in realflow.

ThankYou,
Krishnadeepak.

shaun_michael

Softbody for Snow

Postby shaun_michael » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:01 pm

Just thinking out loud here.

Have you considered using a custom RW mesh (which would be your ski-slope object) and have the RW generate foam maps? These could then be used as a displacement map sequence in your 3D app.

I've done a quick test on a native default RW object and dragged a couple of "skis" across it and then displaced a subdivided plane in Lightwave successfully. I think the image sequence would need a little post work to clean it up a little though.

As I was just testing on a plane I didn't need to worry about UV mapping the image sequence but as I'm sure you know wityh a more complicated object you'd need to do that.

Anyhoo, it worked ok here as a proof of concept. I've not tested it on anything more complex, and especially not on a custom RW, nor have I tried the softbody option. It just seemed that using a surface effector in your 3D app might be a better route, and if RW can generate sequential displacement maps for you then all very well and good.

Shaun

Return to “RF4: Softbody / cloth simulation”