Roll of paper un-rolling like wallpaper

Discussion about softbody / cloth simulation in Realflow 4
adom86

Postby adom86 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Hey guys

I am just trying to figure out my next shot with regards to roll of wall paper. I need to have a roll of paper cascade down a wall but also interact with any objects that are on the wall that would deform the paper as it is over it.

Anyone had a go at this effect? I was wondering if it is possible to create a roll of paper and then simulate it unrolling within realflow. Im trying Max's reactor at the moment but not working very well :P

Thank you!

tmdag

Postby tmdag » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 am

u can easily do it with any 3d package no need to use realflow for that.

If it was about cloth i would simulate it but if it is a paper, i would animate it by hand.
"Do not feed the trolls"
Albert 'tmdag' Szostkiewicz
FX Technical Director
Weta Digital

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 am

adom86 wrote: I need to have a roll of paper cascade down a wall but also interact with any objects that are on the wall that would deform the paper as it is over it.

tmdag wrote: If it was about cloth i would simulate it but if it is a paper, i would animate it by hand.

Not so sure how well that would work since there are objects that require interaction in the way. I'd probably give it a shot first in nCloth if you have access to Maya. There are attributes of the cloth that can make it look like paper. I take it the part that is the most confusing is how do you get a roll of paper in the first place? That's a good question...

Maybe model the roll quite literally and make sure there are no overlapping pieces? Or maybe start with a flat plane but attached to a cylinder at one end, then animate the cylinder rolling to make a roll, then set initial state? That'll take some messing about to get something that works.

adom86

Postby adom86 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:48 am

lukeiamyourfather wrote: [quote=adom86]I need to have a roll of paper cascade down a wall but also interact with any objects that are on the wall that would deform the paper as it is over it.

tmdag wrote: If it was about cloth i would simulate it but if it is a paper, i would animate it by hand.

Not so sure how well that would work since there are objects that require interaction in the way. I'd probably give it a shot first in nCloth if you have access to Maya. There are attributes of the cloth that can make it look like paper. I take it the part that is the most confusing is how do you get a roll of paper in the first place? That's a good question...

Maybe model the roll quite literally and make sure there are no overlapping pieces? Or maybe start with a flat plane but attached to a cylinder at one end, then animate the cylinder rolling to make a roll, then set initial state? That'll take some messing about to get something that works.[/quote]
Thanks for the info, I have created a roll in max but the reactor system cant cope with it so I am thinking of lookin at maya ncloth when i get into work as I dont have a license here! Ill try importing the geo into maya and give it ago, not used ncloth before so it shud be fun! haha

Return to “RF4: Softbody / cloth simulation”