Difficulty in controlling the nature of soft bodies

Discussion about softbody / cloth simulation in Realflow 4
TheLifeEnigma

Postby TheLifeEnigma » Tue May 11, 2010 7:06 am

Hey everybody I'm fairly new to RealFlow so bear with me if I ask anything stupid. :) So I've begun a personal project where I modeled a plant branch with leaves and following one of the threads posted on this site I was able to create some decent looking rain.

My problem lies in the fact that I can't get the leaves to react to the water, turning them into soft bodies and pinning the base results in them crumpling over due to the effects of gravity. My aim is to have the leaves maintain their initial rigid shape but also be dynamic so that they may react to the rain.

I've played around with making it a solid soft body as well as the different spring types, mass and all of the other soft body options but all to no avail. I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight into what I might be doing wrong and hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction.

TheLifeEnigma

Postby TheLifeEnigma » Tue May 11, 2010 7:27 pm

So what I ended up doing is faking the interaction with the rain, instead of dynamically reacting to the drops of water I used Maya's nCloth and a mix of fields to animate the leaves bouncing up and down and then imported the .sd file into RealFlow. With the rain falling everywhere and me not focusing on any one specific leaf the effect works!

Just goes to show that if you sleep on it and take the simplest approach things will usually pan out. :)

Return to “RF4: Softbody / cloth simulation”