Getting sofbodies to interact with prekeyed objects

Discussion about softbody / cloth simulation in Realflow 4
KingRoLo

Postby KingRoLo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi, im having trouble trying to get a simulated cloth object to react to a pre animated object colliding into it. I was convinced that this could be acheived because you can drop objects on softbody cloths and the cloth reacts with the dyn motion rigid body objects and vice versa. But when i move a pre-keyed object through the cloth, the object just passes through it. It seems that it only works when the object is controled with dyn motion.

I'm basicly trying to simluate a pair of stage curtains opening, and using 2 dummy objects to move the middle of the curtains apart.

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Are you bringing in the animation via sd or is it all keyframed within RF?

Shaun

KingRoLo

Postby KingRoLo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 pm

I tried both bringing it in via .SD then i used a native object and keyed that in RF, both didn't work for me.

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Not having much success here either, although I am getting collision detection. I've always found soft bodies in RF to be a little hit and miss. Personally I would do this in my native 3D app.

I'll keep testing.

Shaun

KingRoLo

Postby KingRoLo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks Shaun, so you're actually getting collision detection? I can't even achieve that. But with objects are free falling using dyn motion the cloth detects and deforms nicely but with keyed animation its a no go for me. But i do find this strange because i have seen RF videos before with cloth on objects that are animating.

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 pm

So far, in the time I have had, I have a keyframed RF primitive cube deforming a 2D plane with softbody applied. I was having poor collision detection (despite various substep adjustments) with either an imported sphere of low and high res, or the RF sphere primitive.

Collision detection with a 3D object seemed much more robust however, and I suspect that the videos you've seen may well have been using one of the two following scenarios:-

2D deformed from face-on, as opposed to from the side on which is how I imagine you are simulating, or
3D softbodies.

May be worth investigating, even though it sounds odd. Other than that, I would look into either inbuilt 3D app cloth sim, or Syflex etc. For something like this, it should, you would have thought, be a five minute job plus tweaks.

Shaun

KingRoLo

Postby KingRoLo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 am

Thanks for having a go at this yourself shaun, much appreciated. I'll try another avenue then. I don't really like to use studio max's cloth because i don't have alot of experience with it personally, and RF is such an attractive package it's quite easy to just forget max's inbuilt capabilities :)

Return to “RF4: Softbody / cloth simulation”