SoftBody cloth constraints?

Discussion about softbody / cloth simulation in Realflow 4
bluehonda

Postby bluehonda » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:19 am

I would like to use realflow sofbody to simulate cloth. thing is i need to constraint the top part of the cloth which is a character's cape to an animated character. so i need my cloth to follow the character's animation.

I can't seem to find a way to connect my sofbody to another obj.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:41 am

The soft body dynamics acting as cloth is somewhat primitive in RF. I'm not aware of a built in function to parent a part of cloth to an object. It might be possible to script it, update the position of a vertex on the cloth based on the vertex on an object. The nCloth is Maya is much better suited for your needs if you have access to it. Cheers!

bluehonda

Postby bluehonda » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:55 am

yea i know. Ncloth is the way to go. thou our studio doesnt have it. I can really get cool simulations with RF's softbody dynamics. thou i really need to connect it to my Character. And sadly I do not know how i could script this.

Hope others can help me.

thanks.

orr

Postby orr » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:26 am

it's indeed a problem with realflow... with scripting it won't get easier to solve your problem because things like 'vertex.setPostion()' won't work whit softbodies. at least I don't get them to work :D. Updating the whole vertex data on Simulation step dosn't seem to work as well. So what I came up whit is a rather wacki workaround. I just created very small spheres around the vertices I wanted to be constrained, made them rigid body and contraied them to the major object. So the vertex inside that sphere will not move around, But you have to check the global and exlusive links so that nothing goes wrong there. I would write a script for that, but I think it's up to nextLimit to make the softbody vertecis accessible via scripting.

bluehonda

Postby bluehonda » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:13 pm

that work around could work orr. thou my geometry has quite a number of vertices. This is really bugging me. im getting great accurate collisions with realflow. yet i cant constraint my softbody. thanks anyway orr. ill try going with adding a lot of collision objs.

if anyone else gets any ideas. pls let the community know. im sure others will encounter the same thing someday.

good day!!!

DJ_

Postby DJ_ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:30 am

Looking at this vid (Youtube Video), it looks like the guy managed to animate the "pins" of the cloth object. Any ideas about how he did it?

tkeshet

Postby tkeshet » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:08 pm

DJ_ wrote: Looking at this vid (Youtube Video), it looks like the guy managed to animate the "pins" of the cloth object. Any ideas about how he did it?

I'm having issues with it as well as I need cloth to interact with liquids.

Looking at this vid I was able to achieve this as well but it seems like it's a bit of a hack. On the softbody you can of course select pins but the problem is that they're fixed to the world. How did he move them? He simply took the softbody, changed it to sd>curve and animated it on the X axis.

It works but it can't work if you need your cloth to follow another object. Initially I thought I could use a fixed constrain but those constrains are only for rigidbodies.

Return to “RF4: Softbody / cloth simulation”