Simulation of a trebuchet net...

Discussion about softbody / cloth simulation in Realflow 4
Bingo7

Postby Bingo7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:24 am

Hi to all, I new to this forum. I am currently working on a trebuchet model, and using RF to do all yìthe dynamics. I ran into a problem I cannot solve: I have to simulate the net containing the stone ball that is going to be launched. This net has to be closed for the firts part of the launch, the it has to open and let the stone fly by itself. I have no idea haow to symulate the "opening" of the net, can somebody help me please?
I'm attaching an image that can explain better than my words what happens....

tsn

Postby tsn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:05 am

Constraints with a specific break force or a certain break frame are surely a possibility. Another idea would be to use soft bodies, also with defined break force. The tissue will tear apart, releasing the objects(s) inside. Manual keyframe animation could also work.

Bingo7

Postby Bingo7 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:02 pm

tsn wrote: Constraints with a specific break force or a certain break frame are surely a possibility. Another idea would be to use soft bodies, also with defined break force. The tissue will tear apart, releasing the objects(s) inside. Manual keyframe animation could also work.

Constraints that break in a certain frame would be superb! I'll go and check the manual for how it works.... Great tip Tsn, thanks :)

Bingo7

Postby Bingo7 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:05 pm

No luck, constraints seem not to work with softbody... I tried another solution, fixing one end to the arm, and (like the real) setting up a hook on the other end, that should loose when the arm is more tha 90 degrees from the ground.... but nothing. every time I try it the rope passes through the hook after a small arc, the ball that should be trown passes though the net. It seems that che net gets stretched and snaps though, and if I try setting Solid everything goes nuts!!! I am using a mid polycount proxy, even if I tried a low one, that could'nt handle the collision with the ball.....
HELP PLS!!!!! :mad2: I'm going mad trying to do this thing....

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Mon May 12, 2008 8:32 pm

Is it possible for you to upload your scene so we can have a look at it and perhaps offer some solutions with a bit more insight into what you have already?

Shaun

Bingo7

Postby Bingo7 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Here it is, I hope its complete, cause I had to remove some files (they should'nt be used)...

Sorry I have to upload it thought Rapidshare, I have no other means to share it :-(

http://rapidshare.com/files/114455557/Trebuchet.rar

Bingo7

Postby Bingo7 » Mon May 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Is it so bad thet nobody can help me? :P

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Bingo7 wrote: Is it so bad thet nobody can help me? :P

Rapidshare is blocked from this connection. Sorry!

shaun_michael

Postby shaun_michael » Mon May 19, 2008 6:44 pm

I dont have a great deal of time this week, so if anyone's having trouble with this scene from rapidshare, here's another link:-

Scene File (1.3MB rar)

Shaun

Return to “RF4: Softbody / cloth simulation”