exporting rb animation?

bthompson

exporting rb animation?

Postby bthompson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:02 pm

What is the workflow for getting rigid body sims out of realflow 2012? I'm running the latest september patch and the latest 3ds max plugs (5.0.6) Here's what I'm doing, which isn't working:

-import some pre-animated objects as SD files from 3ds max.
-fracture a few of them
-set up my simulation parameters (lava fountains breaking up my fractured objects)
-In export central, enable Animation (.sd) output for my fractured objects
-Run my sim.

In my objects folder, I get .SD files for my fractured objects, but they don't contain any animation. They also take FOREVER to load into 3ds max. 1000 frames takes about 25 minutes for a simple object. When it finally loads, there is no animation though.

There was also an "animation.sd" file, but it won't load into 3ds max. I let it run all night, but it get progressively slower and never finishes loading. I do get an error stating "object with no name found at rame 0...", but all my objects have names. In my troubleshooting, I tried deleting this animation.sd and rerunning my sims. Now it's gone and won't regenerate.

I thought that exporting OBJ's might be a workaround, but there is no OJB export option for my fractured objects.

Has anyone experienced this, or can advise what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Anaxarchos

exporting rb animation?

Postby Anaxarchos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Usually, animation.sd is the file to import, containing all the elements in the RF scene. This usually takes a few seconds.

You were speaking of fracturing, so how many fractures are there in RF? The Caronte engine is capable of handling more individual objects than most 3D packages, but I am speaking of loads and loads of pieces, here.
www.fk-fx.com

bthompson

exporting rb animation?

Postby bthompson » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks Anaxarchos,

I fractured 3 objects into about 30 pieces each, so 90 pieces in total. I don't know what the face count for each fractured piece is, but it should be very low. The original pieces that I fractured were only around 112 faces each.

My theory is that the slow import of animation.sd is due to some naming problem. When importing in 3ds Max, a window opens saying "an object with no name was found at frame 0...". The message is repeated in the window, and appears to be repeated hundreds of times for every frame. I think the slowdown might be from writing this message over and over.

In any case, I can't find any unnamed objects. Fracturing an object in realflow creates a multibody, which can't be opened. Maybe that's the problem?

My fractured objects are named like "Ground_CollapsingBits_Part_152_fractured01".

Anaxarchos

exporting rb animation?

Postby Anaxarchos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:01 pm

The amount of objects seems ok for me, also the creation of the new MB shouldn't bother you.

I think you are on the right path with your guess on naming problems. I'd rename my objects in Max, really short names and also make sure there aren't any two objects having the same name. Also pay attention there aren't any special characters in the names.
www.fk-fx.com

bthompson

exporting rb animation?

Postby bthompson » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:02 pm

So I think I may have solved this. I'm still running tests before running my big sim, because it takes so long but...

I believe the problem is that nothing sim-related happens in my shot until frame 400, therefore, I set my "first frame" in realfow to 400 and didn't sim anything before that. That seems to cause a problem when importing into 3ds max. To fix it, I set everything in realflow to "inactive" and simmed out to frame 400, then stopped the sim, enabled what I needed, and simmed the rest. This seems to import into 3dsMax without the errors.

Hopefully this will work when I apply it to my big scene... we'll see.

bitSeq

exporting rb animation?

Postby bitSeq » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Yes this is normal, it has to do with the architecture of the SD file, you must write to it consecutively from frame 0 or it will essentially be corrupted.

bthompson

exporting rb animation?

Postby bthompson » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Now I know. :-)

I do wish this was documented... or better yet, fixed. I've spent several days trying to get to the bottom of this, and thrown out many many hours of otherwise perfectly usable simulation. :-/

Oh well... onward!

bitSeq

exporting rb animation?

Postby bitSeq » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Yes I share your pain.... Its also worth knowing that you cant add or remove objects half way through a rigid body simulation.

Return to “Rigidbody simulation”