Scripted Melt

Share your scripts with other members
Solo

Scripted Melt

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:56 pm

tmdag wrote: script replaces unfreezed particles with particles from another emitter so it should work fine (they shouldn't be deleted) , You can also use unfreeze but maybe I misunderstood You

Well, that's the thing. The particles are being deleted. :( The particles just disappear based on the Y of the Null object. It doesn't "melt". But I'll see about trying to add unfreeze() to the script and see what happens. Thanks

FA1LURE

Scripted Melt

Postby FA1LURE » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:18 pm

use height values instead and get rid of the remove particles.

I've found that locking your sim before hand to settle your particles, using a high internal pressure value, makes it a tad wee bit easier when it comes to using some scripted daemons to help pull off the effect.

I'm using Brandon Youngs XYZ Drag daemon script with an ellipsoid force, gravity, wind, and some noise.

I'm implementing some length checks to try and transfer some particles to another emitter currently.

Brandon's and TmDags sims are looking amazing btw.
Defeat enemies with success.

tmdag

Scripted Melt

Postby tmdag » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 am

@Solo:

There was some problem getting velocity data out of Null object.
Instead of that, I have parented simple cube to that Null object and took velocity out of cube.

Also It's better to use same resolution in both emitters while swapping particles.

http://tmdag.com/rf/forum/freezeRocket_03_cube.flw
"Do not feed the trolls"
Albert 'tmdag' Szostkiewicz
FX Technical Director
Weta Digital

Solo

Scripted Melt

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:00 am

tmdag wrote: @Solo:

Instead of that, I have parented simple cube to that Null object and took velocity out of cube.

Also It's better to use same resolution in both emitters while swapping particles.

Hmmn, interesting, interesting. Will check this out immediately. Thanks so much. =)

I actually just switched some of the code with particle.unfreeze() and that seems to work more. But the particles are like in suppper slow motion in respect to gravity. So it's not really working, but better than having the particles disappear. :)

OK... time to download

Solo

Scripted Melt

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:09 am

tmdag wrote: @Solo:

Whoa! So my original script actually worked! :)

A couple questions though. I wonder why there was a problem getting the velocity data out of the Null object. Strange. But I'll certainly keep that in mind in the future.

Second question is, how come you added the Fill_Object to the exclusive links, under the Circle01 emitter? I can see that it behaves better that way, but I'm not clear as to WHY the result is better through adding that to the exclusive link under Circle01. hmmn.

Thanks so much man! Super appreciated. :)

tmdag

Scripted Melt

Postby tmdag » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:26 am

that way Circle emitter will collide with fill emitter particles.

I will check what's wrong with that null
"Do not feed the trolls"
FX Technical Director
Weta Digital

shaun_michael

Scripted Melt

Postby shaun_michael » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:11 am

But the particles are like in suppper slow motion in respect to gravity

Have you got your second emitter exclusively linked, but without gravity effecting it? Or, is the second emitter in global links with gravity removed from global links and added only to the exclusive link of the first emitter?

Shaun

tmdag

Scripted Melt

Postby tmdag » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 am

It seems that You cannot get Velocity out of NULL object (or maybe I'm doing something wrong)

http://tmdag.com/rf/forum/NULL.flw
"Do not feed the trolls"
FX Technical Director
Weta Digital

Solo

Scripted Melt

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05 pm

shaun_michael wrote:
But the particles are like in suppper slow motion in respect to gravity

Have you got your second emitter exclusively linked, but without gravity effecting it? Or, is the second emitter in global links with gravity removed from global links and added only to the exclusive link of the first emitter?

Shaun

Originally, the emitters weren't exclusively linked to each other. But that's since been fixed now. Tmdag showed me what was going wrong.

Solo

Scripted Melt

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:14 pm

tmdag wrote: It seems that You cannot get Velocity out of NULL object (or maybe I'm doing something wrong)

http://tmdag.com/rf/forum/NULL.flw

Yes, apparently, Null's don't return Velocity for whatever reason. :( That was something I did not know before. The other thing I learned here was the importance of linking both emitters to each other.

One other thing I tried, is that I replaced the cube.getVelocity() with Vector.new(0.0,0.0,0.0). I believe Brandon used Vector.new(0.0,0.0,0.0) in his version, since when plugging in this value, it behaves just like Brandon's sphere melt, except mines tilts a bit at an angle. That's probably because I'm not just exclusively comparing the position values on Y I think

Return to “User Scripts”