Having trouble creating diving board simulation

Discussions about rigidbody simulation in Realflow 4
RobH2

Postby RobH2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Imagine a drop of water falling onto the tip of a leaf. The weight of the drip bends the leaf downward and then rolls or springs off (depending on the settings) to hit the ground.

I can't figure out how to create this. I tried a softbody for the leaf and pinned several points. The softbody drop hits the leaf and slides down but the deflection of the leaf downwards is not right. A rigid body leaf doesn't flex. A leaf animated in Max to flex down is almost impossible to time correctly to the RF drop's motion.

How can I create this "weight on the end of a diving board" effect?

Second question pertaining to my end goal. I want the drop to slide down the leaf and off of the end. When it hits the ground I want it to splatter apart. I filled a sphere with particles to use as the drop and tired to change it's parameters so that it would hold together and then explode on impact with the ground. I couldn't get that to work. Is that the correct workflow or is there a better way to approach it?
Windows 7 Professional x64 - Asus P9X79 Pro - Intel i7-3960 Extreme - 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 - Corsair H80 Chiller - Nvidia Quadro 4000 - 3D Studio (preMax) thru Max 2012 Design

RobH2

Postby RobH2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I'm answering part of my own question. I've figured out that if I animate the leaf in Max and export the .sd animation with it I have a nice moving leaf in RF4. The tricky part is getting the drop to fall at the right time and roll off of the end at the right time. By sliding keys in Max I can adjust timings, overwrite the .sd file and the changes are updated in RF4.

So now that I have a workaround for the leaf motion (unless someone says that that's exactly the right way to approach this) what I still can't figure out is how to have the drop land on the leaf without exploding so it can roll off and then explode when it hits the ground.

In a perfect world the drop would deflect the leaf so the motion is more naturally derived. The motion for the leaf I've created in Max is pretty good but nothing is as good as letting physics drive the motion instead of keys.

Any help is appreciated and any ideas to help me truly use physics is what I'd like.

Thanks...
Windows 7 Professional x64 - Asus P9X79 Pro - Intel i7-3960 Extreme - 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 - Corsair H80 Chiller - Nvidia Quadro 4000 - 3D Studio (preMax) thru Max 2012 Design

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Animation or a cached soft body simulation is probably going to be the solution. Timing will take a while to work out but its possible. If you look at footage out there of a water drop landing on a leaf it barely even jiggles let alone folding down or warping. The "classic" image of a water drop folding down a leaf and rolling off isn't really possible physically so it makes sense that its difficult to reproduce using dynamics. Though it sure does sell a lot of juice and shampoo on television which is probably why people think that's how rain really looks on a leaf. Cheers!

EDIT: Didn't see your reply before this one. :)

RobH2

Postby RobH2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks LIAYF. I'll play around with cached soft bodies. Haven't ever experimented with them so I'll do some reading.

Regards...

Return to “RF4: Rigidbody simulation”