100FPS Particles and rigid body

WorzelGummidge

100FPS Particles and rigid body

Postby WorzelGummidge » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Hello. Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

I'm trying to simulate some fluid and dynamic objects together and I know I'm not understanding something because I'm not getting the result I wanted.

I'm simulating some high ish viscosity fluid at 100FPS. I've read that it's best to render something at that FPS if they're high viscosity. Am I correct about that.

I want to simulate some dynamic objects falling with (and into) the liquid. So, to do that I need to simulate both fluid and objects at the same time.

My problem is that when I set the FPS to 24, the objects fall quite slowly. I assume that's normal because it was rendered at 100FPS.

Is there a way to make them fall faster while keeping the fluid speed as it is while also keeping the simulation consistent with particle/object collisions?

Or, should I render the scene at something like 75FPS?

Or, should I render the scene at 24FPS? If I do that the fluid may look too fast.

Any help would be great.

Jon. P

Otuama

Re: 100FPS Particles and rigid body

Postby Otuama » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Anyone with name like Worzel Gummidge deserves my full attention. Jon Pertwee was a GOD!!!

I think I may be working on something similar to you. I too have some viscous fluid and rigid body objects. So, you're happy with the motion of your fluid but not your objects?

As they're moving too slow, what you could maybe try is to increase the global forces for objects (in scale options). Do some tests with only the objects. Sim at 100fps, with an increased global force, then change to 24/25fps. You'll start to notice the difference.

I've made a quick example:

The red objects are initially simmed at 100fps with a global object force of 1.5. The other objects have a default global force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjTI-JGRjc0&hd=1
Otuama - Vimeo
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi
'Realism is in the eye of the beholder' - Me ;)

WorzelGummidge

Re: 100FPS Particles and rigid body

Postby WorzelGummidge » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Many thanks Otuama. I will give it a try.

Return to “General topics”