High-res mesh detail for water

hotmud

Postby hotmud » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi

What is the basic procedure for getting a high-res, highly detailed mesh in RF5? Is it simply a factor of the number of particles in the sim? Do you have to also reduce the Emitter Field radius as you increase the particle count. Filter or not? What smoothing value?

My domain is set to 5000000, but it still looks too blobby and not like water at the scale I want it (a small waterfall, maybe 1 meter high).

I'm using a Domain and RFRK mesher.

Anaxarchos

Postby Anaxarchos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Are you using RF5 or 2012? If using RF5, mesh your particles using the RFRK Mesher. Do so by exporting the Grid's Emitters as BIN and then mesh those BINs.

Anyway, if you need a 1 meter high waterfall don't use Hybrido. In Realflow Standard Particles one grid unit equals one meter so simulating a waterfall of this size shouldn't be much of a problem. In Standard particles, you still have more control about the simulation.
www.fk-fx.com

hotmud

Postby hotmud » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks for the help, that's good info. Though I am using a RFRK mesher and RF5 OSX.

I'm trying the command line RF64 now because I'm running out of memory meshing using a 0.01 polygon size in the GUI version.

However meshing doesn't work. It meshes the same frame over and over (it doesn't increment through the cached sim). I read here that there is a bug with meshing in RF5 CMD, is that right?

What other ways is there of getting a high-res mesh out of FR5 64? (I much prefer the command line workflow though).

Return to “RF5: Fluid simulation”