Plasticine rain drops

vxr2032fd

Plasticine rain drops

Postby vxr2032fd » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello

I'm new to realflow and I was hoping you could help me with something.
I'm trying to make plasticine raindrops and I figure out how to make one drop importing a drop shaped volume from maya into realflow and apply a fill_object emitter, but I haven't been able to make multiple copies of the particle raindrop and place them wherever I want in the scene.

Please help!

lukeiamyourfather

Plasticine rain drops

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 pm

The best way to do this would probably be to simulate a set of drops (like five to ten) and then duplicate them in another 3D package as needed. Ideally as instanced objects at render time to speed things up and reduce memory usage. Dealing with all of the data in RealFlow will be very cumbersome and slow.

vxr2032fd

Plasticine rain drops

Postby vxr2032fd » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:28 pm

lukeiamyourfather wrote: The best way to do this would probably be to simulate a set of drops (like five to ten) and then duplicate them in another 3D package as needed. Ideally as instanced objects at render time to speed things up and reduce memory usage. Dealing with all of the data in RealFlow will be very cumbersome and slow.

Thank you Mr. Vader but I need the drops to interact with a tomato and to acumulate in the ground. My question is how do I duplicate the initial state of a group of particles multiple times an then place each group in different positions?

Thank you again!

lukeiamyourfather

Plasticine rain drops

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:14 pm

vxr2032fd wrote: [quote=lukeiamyourfather]The best way to do this would probably be to simulate a set of drops (like five to ten) and then duplicate them in another 3D package as needed. Ideally as instanced objects at render time to speed things up and reduce memory usage. Dealing with all of the data in RealFlow will be very cumbersome and slow.

Thank you Mr. Vader but I need the drops to interact with a tomato and to acumulate in the ground. My question is how do I duplicate the initial state of a group of particles multiple times an then place each group in different positions?

Thank you again![/quote]
I don't think making a bunch of drops in a massive simulation is the best approach here. The simulation times can very easily get out of hand that way. It would be best to approach the impact behavior and the tornado interaction behavior independently in a way that a fluid simulation doesn't need to happen for every drop on every frame. For example use dumb particles for the tornado interaction and just instance drop geometry onto them (in another 3D package). Then for the impact use one of several cached impact simulations (or use Python to create a splash simulation at that location in RealFlow).

By creating a workflow that takes less time per iteration you will have more control and overall a better result. Massive simulations can look good but they take much and experience to complete compared to "cheating" it with instancing caches and similar.

vxr2032fd

Plasticine rain drops

Postby vxr2032fd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Thank you

But is not what I'm looking for. I said tomato, not tornado and the simulation I'm trying to build is not really massive.

The idea is to make the raindrops look like made of plasticine on a stop motion animation.

This is what I been doing:

1. Make a raindrop from fill_object emitter on a certain position.
2. Save a single bin for the raindrop.
3. Change the position of the object and reset to generate another drop on another position.
4. Save another single bin for this new raindrop.
5. Repeat for ever.
6. Import every drop one by one.
7. Run simulation

Let me show you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq0RKeIdI-A

I wonder if there is a faster way to do this.

Return to “RF5: Fluid simulation”