Wet Maps?

Agentmass

Wet Maps?

Postby Agentmass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:09 am

So I tried creating a wet map and when I imported it in to 3ds Max I just got this white paint looking texture. How do I make the wet map actually look wet and not just like a white paint?

lukeiamyourfather

Wet Maps?

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 am

It all comes down to shader look development. The wet map is simply that, a map of where things are wet which doesn't actually define how a surface looks. Just if the surface is wet or not. There are cheap ways and there are expensive ways. A cheap one would be to map the reflectivity of a surface shader to the wet map, so in the wet areas it is reflective. Or things can get as complicated as displacements and procedural geometry with refractions on top of an existing surface. What kind of surface is the wet map on?

Agentmass

Wet Maps?

Postby Agentmass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 am

It's just on a simple box with a brick texture over it.

BrianLooney

Wet Maps?

Postby BrianLooney » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:42 pm

You can use the wet map as the mask in a composite material.
Brian Looney
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Agentmass

Wet Maps?

Postby Agentmass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Alright, I did exactly that and I still got this nasty looking white material. Also this is just a test not an actual project. I have seen videos where the wet map actually looks like that area of the object is wet and not just white. Thats what I want but I am not sure how to get that.

lukeiamyourfather

Wet Maps?

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:15 pm

It looks like the wet map is being plugged in literally as a texture, not a mask for another shader. Depending on the application we might be able to troubleshoot the shader, what application are you using?

Agentmass

Wet Maps?

Postby Agentmass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I am using 3ds Max. I made a composite material. Then I put the brick texture as the base material and put the wet map as the secondary material.

lukeiamyourfather

Wet Maps?

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:10 pm

I don't use Max, but generally speaking the second material should be similar to the first material only slightly darker and more reflective (so it looks like wet brick instead of dry brick). Then use the wet map as a mask between the two.

BrianLooney

Wet Maps?

Postby BrianLooney » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 am

lukeiamyourfather wrote: I don't use Max, but generally speaking the second material should be similar to the first material only slightly darker and more reflective (so it looks like wet brick instead of dry brick). Then use the wet map as a mask between the two.

He's exactly right. The wet map is not a texture, only a mask.
Brian Looney
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Agentmass

Wet Maps?

Postby Agentmass » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 am

Alright, I tried it with the mask and it works perfectly! I got this result and I think it turned out pretty well. Are there any things I could do to make it look even better?

Return to “RF5: Fluid simulation”