Ship sinking or not...

tehbath

Ship sinking or not...

Postby tehbath » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Hello, currently i have 2 flat bottomed boats as rigid bodies, and a box filled with a grid fluid ~100000 particles for the boats to float on. Collion boxes are set as Mesh, inside or outside makes no difference. I have 1 gravity deamon

The problem is one of the boats has a big hole in the bottom and the other does not, but they both sink, or float if i reduce the mass. I want one boat to float and for the fluid particles to come up through the hole in the second boat as it sinks.

I am new to this so is there an option im missing? Does gravity prevent the fluid from moving up through the hole?

BrianLooney

Ship sinking or not...

Postby BrianLooney » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:01 pm

You may be better off forcing the action instead of trying to make it happen dynamically. I'd raise the mass of the sinking boat, and add an emitter in the boat's hole. You can also keyframe the mass so that it sinks how you want it to.
Brian Looney
Tulsa, Oklahoma

tehbath

Ship sinking or not...

Postby tehbath » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:36 pm

But thats cheating...lol

I thought about that but the current boats are only place holders, i need to simulate the sinking of the Titanic and also add some additonal controlled flooding, so i would have to animate mass and centre of gravity every so many frames.

Really i need this to happen dynamically

Return to “RF5: Fluid simulation”