Stable liquid with few particles

ndru

Postby ndru » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi All

I am trying to fill a container with liquid with as few particles as possible, since I am not going to build mesh around them or anything - they are just there to create some friction (I am creating water bubbles along this tutorial http://tutorials.realflow.com/realflow_bubbles__a_quick_tutorial_380.html) I my reference the particles in the tank are few and far between. Yet when I try to do this with RF the fluid colapses and takes ages to settle, not mentioning that the particles are then really tight. How do I fill a volume so that the particles are few and far between like in the example (and don't form a little puddle at the bottom of the container when I hit simulate)? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

ndru

Postby ndru » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 am

Anybody?

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 pm

I take it you are using the fillobject emitter? Well of course the liquid will compress due to gravity. Either fill the volume up using a standard emitter or top up the fillobject with one.

It is usually good practise to use the same resolution for any liquids that are mixing together or realflow will become unstable.

To help the particles settle use a drag daemon.

ndru

Postby ndru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am

Sure. The issue here is that I require the fluid to be not very dense yet the density doesn't actually affect how many particles go into a unit of volume. I am curious as to how the sparsity of the particles in the liquid from the tutorial was achieved.

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm

ndru wrote: I am curious as to how the sparsity of the particles in the liquid from the tutorial was achieved.

Just speculating: The amount of details (i.e. amount of particles shown on screen) can be set from best to draft in RF. Maybe this was the case in the screencapture of this tutorial ?
RF10 standard + RFC4D, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:45 am

If you lower the resolution of your emitter then the particles will actually appear to be less dense, however that will also require that you lower any other mixing fluids and your simulation and meshes will become more crude.

It sounds like your scale is much larger than that in the tutorial and your resolution may need adjusting to look like it does in the tutorial, however the liquid behaviour will be quite different at a much larger scale.

In effect resolution adjusts the visible density of the fluid, the density setting adjusts the weight.

Cheers

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 am

If you lower the resolution of your emitter then the particles will actually appear to be less dense, however that will also require that you lower any other mixing fluids and your simulation and meshes will become more crude.

It sounds like your scale is much larger than that in the tutorial and your resolution may need adjusting to look like it does in the tutorial, however the liquid behaviour will be quite different at a much larger scale.

In effect resolution adjusts the visible density of the fluid, the density setting adjusts the weight.

Cheers

ndru

Postby ndru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks for all replies.

Return to “RF5: Fluid simulation”