Linux / Poor RF Video Performance

rootsandculture

Postby rootsandculture » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi, it's me again, just been trying different distros, and cannot get RF performance as under windows does. Actually I've ATI 4600, and there isn't any problems under win 7, performance is really great, incluiding 2-3 million particles in a container ATI moves with no major problem.
But the problem is under Linux i.e Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.04, propietary and not-propietary drivers, cannot move decenlty 100.000 particles, compared to a few millions in win.

Is this normal? Is an ATI-Linux issue? I have no nvidia to try, so will not change hardware only for testing.

Tried Xubuntu (XFCE) thinking Gnome is a little heavy, but performance is almost the same, really sucks, impossible to think in use it for production workflow.

Just want to hear other Linux user's opinnions, maybe there is some tricks o custom driver configs to (at least) performance equals than win.

Cheers!

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:31 pm

The open source Linux graphics drivers perform much worse than the proprietary drivers. In some cases the proprietary drivers are more than ten times faster.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_mesa_mai2011&num=2

This isn't really the fault of Linux but rather that AMD and Nvidia don't share all of the detail necessary to create completely optimized drivers. Both claim that industry secrets need to be protected so they can't be shared. Long story short, install the proprietary drivers. They should be in the Ubuntu repositories or you can use their "hardware drivers" utility to install them automatically.

EDIT: I see that you have tried the proprietary already. Didn't catch that originally. Try disabling the effects if they are enabled. They will consume huge amounts of graphics resources if enabled.

rootsandculture

Postby rootsandculture » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi luke, thanks for your answer.

I tried all possibilities, no effects, compiz enabled in a fresh ubuntu installation. No background processes, etc. Latest drivers (11.5 in case of ATI)

I notice, for example, scrolling in Firefox isn't smooth either, but major problem is in OpenGL (i think RF uses it).

Cheers

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Disable Compiz and also double check that the driver is working properly.

Code: Select all

glxgears -info

It should say the rasterizer is fglrx, if it says software then the driver isn't working properly.

rootsandculture

Postby rootsandculture » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 pm

I get 3.000 - 3.500 fps in glxgears. Drivers are properly installed, in Ubuntu says activated and using (or something like that)

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 pm

rootsandculture wrote: I get 3.000 - 3.500 fps in glxgears. Drivers are properly installed, in Ubuntu says activated and using (or something like that)

What is the rasterizer in the glxgears stdout? Does it say fglrx? It should be pushing hundreds or thousands of frames per second, not 3.

2:56pm /home/lolson glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER = Quadro 4000/PCI/SSE2
GL_VERSION = 3.2.0 NVIDIA 195.36.31
GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
107219 frames in 5.0 seconds = 21443.775 FPS

rootsandculture

Postby rootsandculture » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:00 pm

3,000 - 3,500 (3 thousands) sorry. I can't check it, I'm not at home, only remember those FPS. Will check it, btw, isn't "Driver is activated and running" the proof it's working, with those FPS?

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm

rootsandculture wrote: 3,000 - 3,500 (3 thousands) sorry. I can't check it, I'm not at home, only remember those FPS. Will check it, btw, isn't "Driver is activated and running" the proof it's working, with those FPS?

Not necessarily. It depends on how the "Driver is activated and running" was derived. If it just checks that certain packages are installed then it might not be 100% accurate. Running glxgears with the -info flag will tell you for certain what is doing the rendering. If it says this, something is not working.

GL_RENDERER = Software rasterising

rootsandculture

Postby rootsandculture » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Ok, i'll check it, in other words, did u noticed different performance between both OS in terms of viewport pan, tilt, etc? If not, then is a ATI-RF-Linux combo problem, maybe someone with similar config can help with their experiences.
Thanks again luke

et

Postby et » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:41 am

First thing to check it's whether it is a RF performance issue or a linux issue, have you noticed any other performance issue in linux using any other 3D app like maya?

Please check that direct rendering is working, command "glxinfo | grep rendering" should say "direct rendering: Yes"

Have you compared simulation times between windows and linux? or the problem is just about moving particles?

In order to get the best performance under linux, lightweight environments like XFCE are always recommended over gnome or kde. Of course you can also try simulating with "realflow -nogui ..." to get the best out of your machine.

Cheers!
---------------------
NextLimit Team
---------------------

Return to “RF5: General topics”