Audio and real flow ?

djwang

Audio and real flow ?

Postby djwang » Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 pm

hi guys thankyou for reading my thread i was wondering if you can import audio into realflow ? as i would like to experiment with fluids reacting to music beats ect. is this possible ? i know you can do this with 3dsmax so wonder if i could do the same with realflow.

regards

dj

lukeiamyourfather

Audio and real flow ?

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Thu May 19, 2011 5:05 pm

I don't think there is a way out of the box, someone correct me if that's not the case. This could be done in Houdini out of the box though. In RealFlow I'm sure it could be done with either the C++ SDK or with Python. Here's some information on audio modules for Python.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Audio/

bitSeq

Audio and real flow ?

Postby bitSeq » Thu May 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Yes you can do it, you will need a script to be able to read that info from an sd file output from 3ds max which has been affected by the audio file and then use those variables to control stuff inside RF

djwang

Audio and real flow ?

Postby djwang » Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Guys ! i really appriciate the fast repsonse

i m trying to make a music video using realflow to help make certain parts, no dead line or anything but just for fun. seems like a cool abilty to have inside the program, ill check out the links luke. and let you know my findings, thanks m8. not much experience with realflow , so here goes. thanks guys.

dj

lukeiamyourfather

Audio and real flow ?

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Thu May 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Thinking about it more there are probably a thousand ways to do this. For example use an external audio diagnostic tool to write out text files with things like RMS or frequency per frame. Then load those into Python and not have to mess with the audio modules. Or use software like Houdini (or Max) to export meaningful audio information (like a translating cube based on RMS). I take it that's what you mean, bitSeq?

djwang

Audio and real flow ?

Postby djwang » Thu May 19, 2011 11:11 pm

ive just been reading through the python dictionary, so am going to need the basics first. connecting frequencies to speeds would be intersting to experiment with. i dont exspect a step by step guide, but is this an advanced procedure ? what are your own experiences with python luke , bitseq ? what tips would you suggest to a new like me ?

cheers

dj

bitSeq

Audio and real flow ?

Postby bitSeq » Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 am

lukeiamyourfather wrote: (like a translating cube based on RMS). I take it that's what you mean, bitSeq?

Yes that is exactly what I mean, its a faster way to get the job done but it has its limitations, it would be a simple script I am sure. I am not able to script this though.

Return to “RF5: General topics”