Video preview in linux

rootsandculture

Video preview in linux

Postby rootsandculture » Tue May 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi all, just trying RF performance under linux, I wonder if video preview save option isn't availabe on linux, or there something I am missing, cause its missing

Cheers

jorunn

Video preview in linux

Postby jorunn » Wed May 11, 2011 12:00 am

You can always check if there are files build.

If you look in your scene-folder, there should be a preview folder with then again a video and another folder. Check in this folders if there are any files. ( in my config it is .png)

Something else you can look at is the exportcentral, you can choose wheter to save previews and in wich extension etc. Maybe that can be of help.

Greetings

Jorunn

rootsandculture

Video preview in linux

Postby rootsandculture » Wed May 11, 2011 12:24 am

Yes, it generates a .png sequence, but can't find a option to make an .avi or some video format inside RF like in windows.

lukeiamyourfather

Video preview in linux

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed May 11, 2011 2:36 am

I don't have RealFlow on this machine to check but you can always use FFmpeg or one of the many wrappers like MEncoder. For example...

ffmpeg -f image2 -i image%d.png video.mpg

Use "man ffmpeg" for the full details. If you don't already have FFmpeg then install the package with yum/apt.

bitSeq

Video preview in linux

Postby bitSeq » Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 am

Yes I have the same problem, Realflow will not save a video or save the frames in any other format than PNG in linux, not sure if this is a bug or a wrapper issue?

rootsandculture

Video preview in linux

Postby rootsandculture » Wed May 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks for the answers, luke, just wanna know if there is a way to make inside RF, like under Win, cause its a very helpfull option, thought the problem is my distro o some missing library (Xubuntu)

Cheers

lukeiamyourfather

Video preview in linux

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Wed May 11, 2011 4:16 pm

rootsandculture wrote: Thanks for the answers, luke, just wanna know if there is a way to make inside RF, like under Win, cause its a very helpfull option, thought the problem is my distro o some missing library (Xubuntu)

Cheers

A Python script could be used to call FFmpeg and make a video out of an image sequence from a preview. If you don't already have FFmpeg then install it with this command in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

Note this is the "free" version which doesn't include any proprietary codecs like H.264 encoding. If nothing comes up you might have to enable some additional software sources for apt. If you want to use proprietary codecs then there's a "non-free" version (still free in cost but has some legal and patent issues depending on locale) that you can install from source.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

Fish4fluids

Video preview in linux

Postby Fish4fluids » Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi guys,

Following this thread I just checked and it looks like we may have a bug on the export for those image formats. Right now it seems like you are right and only .png gets saved.
Apologies for the inconveniences.

This should get sorted in the upcoming release.
Stay tuned.

g-p
--------------------------------
RealFlow Product Manager
--------------------------------

et

Video preview in linux

Postby et » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 am

Currently a save option is not available in Video Preview for GNU/Linux, but a workaround is:

- click on Playback / Preview Preferences
- in Post Action, click on Shell command
- add a line that converts *.png files to video (you can use either ffmpeg or mencoder):

this line works for me:
cd $(FRAMESDIR) && mencoder mf://*.png -mf w=$(FRAMEWIDTH):h=$(FRAMEHEIGHT):fps=$(FPS) -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -of avi -o output.mpeg

this is useful to encode and do whatever you need to this preview.
---------------------
NextLimit Team
---------------------

rootsandculture

Video preview in linux

Postby rootsandculture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:05 am

tnx, i'll try it :)

Return to “RF5: General topics”