Interpenatrations even with substeps set to max

thegiftmachine

Postby thegiftmachine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm have some issues with interpenetration at a specific location in my scene, regardless of the geometry and the number and quality of the substeps in simulation preferences. I have an object that is animated using wind in a rigid body simulations that falls of off a set of books onto another smaller book. The object always penetrates the smaller book. I have imported geometry from Maya, replaced the book with a proxy object (both plane and cube) that I created directly in Real Flow and I still am getting the issue at this point. It is set as a rigid body without dynamic motion like the other objects in my scene, just having a problem with this one collision. Any thoughts?

thegiftmachine

Postby thegiftmachine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Additionally, the liquid simulation behaves correctly when interacting with this object, just not the rigid body....

Anaxarchos

Postby Anaxarchos » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi,

the RigidBody solver works differnet than the Liquid solver, thus it doesn't take substeps into account.

In the Simulation Options window, there is a Rigid/ Soft Body Solver panel where you can set the RBD solver to Low/ Medium/ High. In fact, this is the only place where you can select how precise your RBD solver is working.

Also make sure to set this scene wise, by clicking on the small arrow next to your Simulation button and not using the dialog in File -> Preferences -> Simulation, as the latter is only affecting newly created scenes, not the actual ones.

I'd also recommend you st the Primitve in the Rigid Body tab to Mesh- for me this has been working very precisely.
www.fk-fx.com

thegiftmachine

Postby thegiftmachine » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:28 pm

thanks!

Return to “RF5: General topics”