RF5 Rigid Bodies do not cache

alienpioneer

Postby alienpioneer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi !

I am doing a little project for myself that involves rigid bodies and liquid.I want to simulate first the rigid bodies, then the rb interacting with the liquid .The rb are linked with a multi joint that breaks under a specific force releasing the liquid. The problem is that the rb do not cache no matter what.

I've read in the docs , that you have to enable the individual .SD animation file.That was a pain, since there are 155 objects.The simulation works ok, about 20 min, then i activate the cache and resimulate. The rb do not cache. I've tried to disable the global animation.sd file from export central, deselect them all , select them again, but nothing. I'm really running out of time and ideas but i'm too close to give up. I can resimulate the rb and the liquid at the same time, but it takes a lot of time.

One thing to notice is that i imported the objects as .obj files. I hate .sd files from all my heart (i'm a bit nervous this time), since i had so many problems with popping and other stuff.

What is your advice ?

And i am convinced that this is not a bug or something like that, if you advice me to speak to NL , because as far as i could saw here, many responses like "speak to NL", in many situations weren't bugs at all .Thank you !

PS: Actually my scene has imported .sd files. I' ve two scenes, one with obj, and the other with sd.Not working in both cases.

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:20 am

I recently had the same problem with soft bodies, the best thing to do is import the animated sd file into your 3d app and then re-export it as an sd file, then you can load that into realflow and it will not change when you resimulate.

alienpioneer

Postby alienpioneer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:55 am

Hi !

Thanks for your advice ! What .sd files do you exported, the individual .sd files for each object, or the general .sd file, that i've initialy imported with all the pieces.

Note: .sd, .sd, what a poetry, too bad that is full of bull...D

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 pm

just import the animation.sd into 3d max or maya..etc

then remove any unwanted geometry and then export the scene as an sd and then load it back into rf.

that should do it.

alienpioneer

Postby alienpioneer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Thank you! It worked like a charm ! I've tried so many things, that i still can't belive it ! How did you came with this idea?

bitSeq

Postby bitSeq » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 pm

When I realised that realflow refused to read the cached animation I knew that all I had to do was to bake it into the file to avoid using the cache and just treat it as a rigid body with no dynamics.

Glad its all working :)

alienpioneer

Postby alienpioneer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Thank you so much !

PS: I understand now that the sd file is like any animated geometry file after exporting back. I ' m curious that anybody have actually cached rb in rf5.I saw that some people claim that it worked in a way or another.I'm curious how they did it.

Return to “RF5: Rigidbody simulation”