Fume FX Experiment Thread

disscussion about fumeFX
ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Sun May 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Wow, very nice and convincing demos of FumeFx.

There was one sequence "Fire&Water" which I like especially.

The basic structure of these scenes concerning the particle setup seems rather simple in most examples, but the rendering of fluid-smoke and heat makes the difference compared to, for example, a simpler volumetric renderer such as pyrocluster.

I was playing a lot recently with the new DPIT-plugin for Cinema4D with fluid-functions, but it is not so easy to get a good look, especially for fine whispy smoke.
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

stevester1

Postby stevester1 » Sun May 20, 2007 3:53 pm

ChristianZ wrote: Wow, very nice and convincing demos of FumeFx.

There was one sequence "Fire&Water" which I like especially.

The basic structure of these scenes concerning the particle setup seems rather simple in most examples, but the rendering of fluid-smoke and heat makes the difference compared to, for example, a simpler volumetric renderer such as pyrocluster.

I was playing a lot recently with the new DPIT-plugin for Cinema4D with fluid-functions, but it is not so easy to get a good look, especially for fine whispy smoke.

I was also trying out Dpit, very powerful but the learning curve to photorealistic results is similar to C4D's AR.

brandony

Postby brandony » Tue May 22, 2007 10:51 pm

i have a few more things i wasa playing with... i still need to post just been so busy with work.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

brandony

Postby brandony » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:21 am

some fun with krakatoa and fume

Krakatoa 01
Krakatoa 02
Krakatoa 03
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

tsn

Postby tsn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:14 am

Impressive work, brandony (and all the others of course, too). I really envy you 3DS guys, having FumeFX. There´s unfortunately nothing comparable with C4D...

BrokenWindow

Postby BrokenWindow » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:04 am

Nice shots Brandony... Just wondering if you would give me a rough step by step as how to use fume fx with krakatoa. Also wondering how many particles your using in the 1st clip of your last post...

Thanks..

brandony

Postby brandony » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:04 am

well getting Krakatoa to work with fume is quite easy! you want to setup your sim in fume, and make sure that your exporting the velocity channel. Sim it out. Once thats done you make a Particle Flow system, make a birth op, make a position icon op, and a fume FX follow op. add your fume sim to that fume follow op. line up your Pflow icon with your fume source, and bam!

the fisrt sim i think had like a million or so..
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

BrokenWindow

Postby BrokenWindow » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks Brandony... I have used Fume with particle flow b4, just not with Krakatoa...works great.
I guess the confusing part is here.

Fume/Krakatoa example

how was this rendered? Krakatoa only renders particles... I don't understand how to utilize krak particles and use scanline, or other renderers to get fumes shading... Or am i missing something different..

Thanks for the reply...It's appreciated...

brandony

Postby brandony » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:08 am

well krakatoa renders points not actual geo. to utilize krakatoa just make sure tht you are using it as your renderer and pump up your particle count. krakatoa also does partitioning, which you can read about on frantic films website.. thats how you can get 10's of millions particles to render out.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

BrokenWindow

Postby BrokenWindow » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:07 am

But how do you render the actual fire / smoke with krakatoa? Like in the 2nd pic... krak will just render particles.. :huh:

Return to “fumeFX”