Fume FX Experiment Thread

disscussion about fumeFX
brandony

Postby brandony » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:05 pm

hi guys, i decided to really start diving in to Fume.. and see waht setting affect the simulation time and look. I wanted to make a new thread so that if anyone else wanted to post their experiments and settings. Im pretty sure my friend Ian trolls these forums from time to time, and he has gotten some really good results.

The first one here i actually did over my lunch break, nothing fancy and the setting are pretty basic.

The ones in the future will be using this template. i will add collision objects a little later on.

the quality isn't that great. i have another rendering, and i will post it tonight. Along with some settings

oh and forgive me if anyone thinks this is in the wrong place. I know this is a RF forum, but i figured you guys would enjoy this.

Fume Test A
[hr]
Fume Test B
settings for this simulation
General,Sim
Rendering,Illum,Src
[hr]
Fume Test C (Smoke only)
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

Ls3D

Postby Ls3D » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:55 am

Forgive me if anyone thinks this is in the wrong place. I know this is a RF forum, but i figured you guys would enjoy this.

Works for me. keep em coming!

-Shea :walkman:
Go Outside!
http://3d.shea-design.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/SheaDesign
http://www.facebook.com/sheadesign

tsn

Postby tsn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:22 am

No problem with FumeFX and RF - I think that everybody here is interested in all kinds of CFD and smoke/fire/dust simulation. Your clips look very good! Esp. the transition from fire to smoke is fantastic. So if you have more results, don´t hesitate to show them.

ENSLAVER

Postby ENSLAVER » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:27 am

Your tests looks great - what renderer were you using? any AA?

i remember someone using realflow and chaos aura to create napalm, i can't wait to get fumefx and get some napalm happening =P

zildjian

Postby zildjian » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:48 pm

I do like the results you can get from fumeFX, i even tried it on a friends machine (and I hate max, swore i would never use it again :))

I think that it's in danger of looking the 'same' tho. I mean in general. Like a while back when you saw a nice GI rendererd frame with a bit of grain, you immediately thought "Maxwell". I hope it doesn't get to a point where any smoke/fire effect makes people think "nice FumeFX render"

the above comment is not aimed at this particular render test, but at this kind of effect in general. I suppose tho, we are all in danger of having simular renders using Realflow :)

I have been looking for a good volume/cloud/smoke rendering solution for years and haven't found one - maybe fumeFX will finally fill the gap. At the moment I am still running Maya4.5 with Arete's pyro for some of my work!

KingRoLo

Postby KingRoLo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:49 pm

brandony wrote: Fume Test A

Fume Test B

Looks very very nice!

keep those test coming and if anyone can supply a plugin for the rest of us to have a fiddle with that would be great!!

brandony

Postby brandony » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:24 pm

ENSLAVER wrote: Your tests looks great - what renderer were you using? any AA?

i remember someone using realflow and chaos aura to create napalm, i can't wait to get fumefx and get some napalm happening =P

it comes with it's own Renderer called Fusionworks, as for the AA i just left everything in Scanline part of things at default. i got some wicked smoke i will post today. i just need to render it out.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

brandony

Postby brandony » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:12 pm

i posted a new smoke test and the settings to the previous test.

i am going to sim out that smoke longer, and post that maybe tonight or tomorrow.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

DesignerV

Postby DesignerV » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Very nice, keep it up!

AbdFX

Postby AbdFX » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:51 pm

@Brandony, that smoke test (C) looks very nice..
Looking forward to see a longer render and the settings,

Return to “fumeFX”