could someone point me in the right direction

disscussion about fumeFX
shimi85

Postby shimi85 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:25 pm

hello i just purchased fume Fx, im looking for some help i want to add some fume fx particles to a matte painting, idea is its raining fire which, the fire will prob just be small pieces of geometry, i want to give it a mystical look, soo the flames prob wont be red or orange, i also want some bigger chunks in the scene which will hit the ground maybe break off into smaller pieces, after that maybe get some dirt pushed up, could i use a real wave to simulate the effect you know like after a motor hits and of course theres going to be some kind of small ember like particles and last i would like to add some ash falling kinda like in hell boy also could i mix maxes reactor in this to help with some of the physics? i like what i see with fume fx allot one more thing could i mix PF flow with fume effects

lukeiamyourfather

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Sun May 04, 2008 8:55 pm

Long story short, you want to deform the ground plane where an object collides? And you're wondering if a Realwave is a good approach? I wouldn't use a Realwave to do this, I would probably use soft body dynamics or blend shapes. Cheers!

shimi85

Postby shimi85 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:48 am

hmmm soft body dynamics? would that involve making a ground plan and converting it to a soft body mesh ?

brandony

Postby brandony » Mon May 05, 2008 4:31 pm

there is a way to do this with out soft body dynamics in max.. its actually quite simple i will see about posting a file for you. As for Fume FX and pflow.. we rarely use particle sources.. they are extremely slow to sim and always look crappy. Though for waht u want to do u could hand animate it or use reactor to break stuff up thats what i usually do and it looks good and sims super fast.

We do use the fume follow operator all the time though.
Brandon Young
www.byvfx.com
FX Artist | TD

shimi85

Postby shimi85 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:57 pm

thank you! could you do that:) i really want to get into particle fx but i just dont know where to start, and how to come up with experiments etc etc i wish i had a mentor

Return to “fumeFX”