RF4 Fire Simulation

Python scripting resources
MightyG

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby MightyG » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Hey guys,
So everyone that has seen the Nextlimit fire "tutorial" knows how broken it really is. Ive seen some impressive looking fire particle simulations on others sites that use RF4 and not Sitni Sati's FumeFX. Ive done alot of attempts and it and asked Mark Stasuik himself for help but its "trade secret" info so does anyone have progress in this department?
make today be the tomorrow you've been dreaming of

Chman

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby Chman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:14 pm

Not sure that this post will help you, but...

You could take a look at Navier-Stokes equations, well known in this department for their speed & efficiency. From what I know, FumeFX use them extensively. Make a search on Google about Navier Stokes and fluid solvers, you'll find a lot of articles and example (even realtime examples).

Using Navier-Stokes equations would require a lot of scripting though and might be a bit slow (python is not that fast). Also those solvers are grid-based, which might be tricky to setup in Realflow but not impossible.

Tom

MightyG

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby MightyG » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:55 pm

wow i just spent the last hour reading really complex calculus haha. Its nice and ive seen some great results.

MightyG

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby MightyG » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:21 pm

So if anyone follows this thread, im going to attempt to bring the infamous fire sequence to the masses. From what i understand I have to calculate particle interaction with outside forces. How Mark S. did it with Daemons befuddles me. But Ive achieved a nice looking sim by doing it the heavy way. Create a box filled with liquid particles, no gravity, add your emitter and shoot it into the box. Create an age deamons etc. etc. ill put up a clip tonight.

Chman

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby Chman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:34 pm

MightyG wrote: How Mark S. did it with Daemons befuddles me.

When you look at an explosion or big amount of smoke coming from a tower, you can see lots and lots of condensed vortex... I think it could be possible to do it using vortex daemons.

But Ive achieved a nice looking sim by doing it the heavy way. Create a box filled with liquid particles, no gravity, add your emitter and shoot it into the box. Create an age deamons etc. etc. ill put up a clip tonight.

Can't wait to see it !

Tom

MightyG

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby MightyG » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:42 am

So i spent some time writing a daemon script and playing with scene settings and this started to turn into a bubble sim kind of. haha

http://www.youtube.com/v/nQOs2o3zgLw

markstasiuk

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby markstasiuk » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:19 pm

Although I think you could take the approach of solving the navier stokes equations, I'd say good luck and see you in a few years. Even using simplified versions, solving for the behaviour of a turbulent, expanding fluid has been a long-standing challenge in the academic community. In any case, the beauty of rf is that it does most of the calculations for you, you just have to figure out what's missing and nudge the fluid to make up the difference.

I'm interested to see what else people come up with on this.

And where's this fire tutorial of NL's?
Mark Stasiuk, RealFlow expert
co-founder and fluid fx supervisor, Fusion CIS
www.fusioncis.com
on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/fusioncis

shaun_michael

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby shaun_michael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi Mark,

Its not a tutorial as such but you'll find an example scene http://www.nextlimit.com/realflow/te_scenes.htm

Shaun

Spongebob

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby Spongebob » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Ooohhh I like the starting of your fire script. That has been the one little spot I have been trying to refine in my fire simulation is the initial firing up. And I can just imagine what that would look like meshed with a material on it! Cool!

I wish I knew the scripting a little better than what I do, and could come up with that too!

Take a look at my flame, and you'll see what i am saying about the initial starting of the sim and how your script would be great there...I think:)

My Candle Flame experiment comp.

Around the 33 second mark is the starting that I like the best. But it need to be better!

MightyG

RF4 Fire Simulation

Postby MightyG » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:49 pm

some updates. Each sim took about 10 minutes so they arent the best.

Anyways, various experiments with the Navier Stokes ideas NOT using scripts but ANIMATING properties. Once i tune it ill script it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qfInJLo3BY

Return to “Python Tutorials and Resources”