Tidal Wave

Discussion about fluid simulation in Realflow 3
rtg497

Tidal Wave

Postby rtg497 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:40 am

I was wondering about creating a gigantic wave. I noticed that when I force water into a room and it hits the far wall, the water goes up the wall and you get that 'curl' that see in the ocean that surfers like. Is that the way to create a tidal wave then or is there a straight-forward approach to this? I suppose I could animate a wall-like object behind the water, forcing it forward. I haven't really started using realwave much yet so the answer may be there. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

shaun_michael

Tidal Wave

Postby shaun_michael » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:39 am

Hi Glenn,

We were discussing that sort of thing in this thread and the concensus was that if you go the particle route, a piece of geometry pushing the particles will help produce the curls you're after.

A water tank also produces the same effect.

If you go the realwave route, then perhaps a wave generating piece of geometry might also be the answer, but the sort of thing they use in a pool - a big block pushing up and down (not tried this myself though).

Hope that's of some use.

Shaun

rtg497

Tidal Wave

Postby rtg497 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:27 am

Thank you Shaun. I've also tried the water (wave) tank route but could only get the particles to move from one end to the other. It did not respond like the little wave tanks you can buy . I even tried using 2 (and 3) different viscoisities but that made no diff. Is that overthinking it? The actual tanks use 2 different fluids and I thought that the way to go.

I think I'll try the rectangular block pushing the particles to see how that goes. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Glenn

shaun_michael

Tidal Wave

Postby shaun_michael » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:47 am

Hi Glenn,

It doesnt have to be a rectangular block. Think of it as more like a snow plough blade, and dont forget you can animate this shape in your 3D app and bring it through to RF for further control. See if you can add foam particlle to the top of the crest and a bit of wind exclusively to them to blow them about a bit.

Shaun

rtg497

Tidal Wave

Postby rtg497 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:35 am

I got ya. That should be pretty simple to do. Does it matter if I animate in maya or Realflow? Wouldn't the effect be the same? The foam particles will be the tricky part. I'm sure it takes some tweaking. I need to look at some photos of those waves to see how it really looks. I'm thinking of it from memory. Since I live in Arizona now.....not many waves in the desert :-)

Thanks again for the info, Shaun. I'm glad this forum is here and you guys know your stuff. I have the 2 Digital Tutors videos but they can only get you so far. I get impatient and want to try something new in addition to the ongoing learning of Maya, Avid Express Pro, XSI, Poser, Adobe apps, etc etc.

Glenn

dataflow

Tidal Wave

Postby dataflow » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:17 am

have a look at this behind the scenes footage

http://www.movieweb.com/video/V07ET0I964J1ZC

http://www.movieweb.com/video/V07E157berwxJP

here is the back 1 page

http://www.movieweb.com/videos/?q=movie_behind_the_scenes&page=4

i dont think its realflow but it shows the process of making a wave

ChristianZ

Tidal Wave

Postby ChristianZ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:45 am

Thanks for posting these links.
This is interesting how they did the surf waves. It is modelled and the whitewater seems to be made of particle emitters, but no fluid simulation in the RealFlow sense. Well, I guess that was anyway the only method which gave them the amount of control and short sim/rendertime needed for such a production.

Attached files
RF10 standard, System specs: OSX 10.11, MacPro 4.1 2xXeon, GTX980Ti, 64 GB RAM

Herbert

Tidal Wave

Postby Herbert » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:05 pm

Similar to what was done in madagaskar.
Great making ofs.

Return to “RF3: Fluid simulation”